We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Less well known at the Hermitage?

Sydney
Level Contributor
24 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Less well known at the Hermitage?

Would love to see some little viewed or unusual items, as well as the usual paintings everyone races towards. My interests are broad, any suggestions?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
11,628 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Less well known at the Hermitage?

What a ridiculous question. If you have no personal tastes/interests whatsoever then simply subtract the well-known from the whole set and you wind up with less-known. As for little viewed, just aim for the rooms with less people inside.

hong kong
Level Contributor
49 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Less well known at the Hermitage?

We were the only ones in the Far East galleries--on the same floor (3rd) as the Impressionists--in the late morning. Stunning Chinese and Japanese exhibits as well as Buddhist artefacts taken from Dunhuang by the Russian orientalist Sergey Oldenburg in the early 1900s.

Lund, Sweden
Level Contributor
94 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Less well known at the Hermitage?

Go to the Russian Museum

Sydney
Level Contributor
24 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Less well known at the Hermitage?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Sydney
Level Contributor
24 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Less well known at the Hermitage?

Marassa - How rude. What I meant was that I was open to suggestions. Why bother to reply if you have no manners.

Edited: 04 July 2014, 20:27
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,664 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Less well known at the Hermitage?

The Hermitage is huge and I'm not sure that there are paintings that everyone gravitates towards - for instance like they do for the Mona Lisa at the Louvre. It also covers the entire range of art so I would suggest if you have a particular interest, then pick up the map at the entrance so that you know where to go. Having said that, the building itself is of major historic interest so the rooms themselves are fantastic to look at. I've been twice and each time I've spent a good half day there without seeing everything.

As for little viewed items, I agree that the Russian Museum is the place for this rather than the Hermitage. I found the Soviet art from the 20th century interesting because we didn't get to see those artists in the west.

australia
Level Contributor
215 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Less well known at the Hermitage?

I would think there are lots of little viewed items at The Hermitage because if you spent a minute per item it would take you about 11 years to see it all.

8. Re: Less well known at the Hermitage?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2015, 06:16