We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catherine and Peterhof Palaces

n
Level Contributor
257 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Catherine and Peterhof Palaces

Hello,

I was wondering if I could do both Catherine and Peterhof Palaces or if it would be better to split them to 2 days (given I only have 2 full days in my trip) -- worried about transportation time since I will be doing them on my own

And how would I best fit the Peter and Paul Fortress??

Thanks

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catherine and Peterhof Palaces

There is a lot more to see in SPb proper than you ever will in that time. I would absolutely not try to do both self-guided in one day, and my advice would be to drop Catherine's Palace altogether and maybe drop Peterhof too. The travel time to Peterhof is pretty quick but the wait times for ticket and boarding can add up, Catherine's palace self-guided for us was 4.5 hours travel and queueing, 2 hours' touring. And that was with springing for taxis instead of walking to the palace from the commuter rail station. Triaging, we decided to skip the interior, which would have required another long line.

n
Level Contributor
257 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catherine and Peterhof Palaces

Yeah, maybe doing them both self-guided is a a bit over ambitious

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
180 posts
567 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catherine and Peterhof Palaces

Catherine Palace is stunning but an all day adventure. Peterhof gardens and fountains are well worth seeing but you can give the palaces there a miss if you've been to Catherine Palace. Forget Peter & Paul fortress - I didn't find it all that inspiring and you are short on time. If you can get to Peterhof on one of the first boats, when you get back I can highly recommend the Cathedral on Spilled Blood. It is about a 20 minute walk from the hydrofoil stop.

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Catherine and Peterhof Palaces

The interiors of the Winter Palace, Catherine Palace and Peterhof's Grand Palace was designed by the same architect so view one, and get a good view of all . The fountain park, lower park, of Peterhof is probably the easiest and most memorable.

Catherine Palace is hard to visit on your own, tickets are on sale for a restricted time each day for casual walk up ticket buyers, the vast majority of visitors are on organized tours and have a much easier time getting tickets. Catherine Palace is not one you can wander in, unlike the Winter Palace, you follow the same restricted path from room to room. It is spectacular but so are dozens of other historic buildings and grounds in the city and suburbs. Getting to Peterhof is fastest and most direct by taking the high speed Hydrofoil boat that docks on the Neva River near the Hermitage and arrives at a dock that is in the lower park of Peterhof.

Where you choose to go depends on your special interests but it is a same not to include the Hermitage/Winter Palace, Fountain Park of Peterhof on such a short visit, regardless of your interests in more specialized destinations. There are museums or exhibitions about almost any hobby or interest you might have.

5. Re: Catherine and Peterhof Palaces

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 05:17