We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reviving the Bring Roubles? discussion

Coventry, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Reviving the Bring Roubles? discussion

I can only find this topic last discussed in 2008 so I'm looking for an update on information.

We are on an NCL Baltic Cruise next week with two full days in St Petersburg. Our excursions are already booked, meals covered and we have UK bank debit and/or credit cards for major purchases. Any suggestions for amount of roubles we should take? We are modest spenders!.

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,705 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reviving the Bring Roubles? discussion

You only need rubles for tips and if you do any shopping so you are the best judge of what you normally spend on souvenirs. The shops that most freelance guides take you to will be very expensive with extreme markups so my advice is not to spend any unless you can arrange to go to normal stores were locals and expats shop. The guide would not like that however since she gets a commission on what you buy in her stores. You can get a good exchange rate in the ATM in the port terminal building next to the exit of the customs/passport control area, right after entering the main lobby. If you get rubles before leaving, you will get poor exchange rate compared what you get here.

Coventry, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Reviving the Bring Roubles? discussion

Thanks, Stanj. This and your postings on many subjects most helpful.

Hemel Hempstead...
Level Contributor
45 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reviving the Bring Roubles? discussion

Stanj, do you have any idea what the rate would be?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Reviving the Bring Roubles? discussion

www.xe.com/currencyconverter/convert/…

An actual ATM rate will slightly differ from the official exchange rate. Also, check with your bank whether it will charge a foreign ATM withdrawal fee.

Edited: 09 September 2014, 18:45
Ringwood, United...
Level Contributor
184 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reviving the Bring Roubles? discussion

As you are in the UK you can use this tool to see which cards to use and which to avoid, use the dropdown to choose your card.

moneysavingexpert.com/travel/…

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,719 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reviving the Bring Roubles? discussion

ATMs are everywhere, so the question isn't WHERE to get Rubles, it's WHEN. The Ruble drops against the Euro and the Dollar whenever Ukraine-Russia tensions and related sanctions threats or realities rise. So my answer is, wait until you arrive, unless you think the Ruble is at a bottom, in which case buy early.

Plymouth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
5,017 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reviving the Bring Roubles? discussion

Wait til you get there, period. The ruble has been falling quite a bit lately tied to Ukraine. If things hold up, it may settle down, but I can't think of any reason to try to game the system by buying rubles on the way up or down...just grab what you need at ATMs.

BUT, do check with your bank first as we heard on the Moscow forum JPMorganChase had WRONGLY interpreted current rules and basically shut down its debit cards in Russia. This is HUGELY shocking as they did NOT do the same thing with credit cards, and very few other banks I am aware of have followed suit.

Also, when you check with your bank, of course, make sure you have them formally record you will be in Russia...would be a shame to have your card shut down for "suspicious activity"...

Jakarta
Destination Expert
for Jakarta, Bandung, Singapore, Java
Level Contributor
50,359 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reviving the Bring Roubles? discussion

Plantaganet1951, hello

WOW for your screen name! I`ve never seen on TA anything more ambitious! ( we few, we happy few, we band of brothers!)

RE: you money matter question, the most recent discussion is here ( August 2014)

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298507-i707-k7715…

Wellington NZ
Level Contributor
4 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reviving the Bring Roubles? discussion

I have been here for fours days and I would agree: use ATMs as and when you need some cash. If you are only changing less than $100 you are not going to worry too much about the loss on exchange rates if you change the left-over notes to Euros later. If you wandering along the the Nevskty Prospect you can find ATMs quite often but these do require entrance through heavy doors open 24/7 - not on the footpath. Bank is not too difficult to recognize in Russian on the neon signs.

10. Re: Reviving the Bring Roubles? discussion

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2015, 05:15