We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro, ground transportation travel card and SIM Card?

Istanbul, Istanbul...
10 posts
Save Topic
Metro, ground transportation travel card and SIM Card?

Hello, I will be st petersburg at October 3 for 3,5 days. I have some questions. Would you help me?

I want to buy podorozhnik card. I thought it is better to deal with coins everytime. I don't know any russian, because of that I couldn't understand very well. Is it applicable in both bus and metro? Can I buy it just for 4 days? How can I buy it? And is a good choice? I know St Petersburg Card but I don't want to buy it.

My other question is I want to buy SIM Card with at least 3 GB Internet from airport. Can you offer me cheaper company without contract? I searched at internet and forum but I couldn't find good information.

Thank you :)

St. Peter Line
Taxis & Shuttles, Ferries
Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours
Nevskiy Express
Railways, Taxis & Shuttles
Taxis & Shuttles
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
498 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro, ground transportation travel card and SIM Card?

No-contract SIMs are illegal in Russia. Of course, it is possible to buy one from some street vendors, buy I wouldn't waste time searching for one.

Podorozhnik card can be purchased (and re-filled) from subway vending machines (that look like this: pics.livejournal.com/minakovas/pic/0003088f ). Those machines have English menu. Actually, the cars is just an electronic wallet that allows payments for city-owned (or city-contracted) public transport. Private minibuses (that have numbers starting from "K-", like K-123) do not accept the card.

Bethesda MD
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro, ground transportation travel card and SIM Card?

I think OP and #1 are using "no contract" in different ways. We got 1-month SIMs from "MTC" aka MTS with I think it was 5 GB for maybe $40 US. They have a website that includes their rates. We used a downtown shop but they're probably at the airport too. If you use a taxi booked through the official airport desk you can easily get downtown without a SIM.

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,608 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro, ground transportation travel card and SIM Card?

We have 3 major mobile operators: MTS, Beeline and Megafon. All of them have logically-named websites (name.ru), English availiable. Choose the tariff right for you and get one from chosen company's brand shop, or multy-brand shops like Evroset and Svyaznoy. Surely there is at least one at the airport. You need a passport to buy a SIM in Russia

Istanbul, Istanbul...
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro, ground transportation travel card and SIM Card?

Thank you so much to all for your answers. Yes, when I said "without contract", i mean "already paid" card. Sorry for incorrect use.

Ok, I will check...

5. Re: Metro, ground transportation travel card and SIM Card?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2015, 06:16