We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

SmarTours MS Kronstad river cruise from St.Petersburg to Mos

Which St. Petersburg hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Albany, New York
1 post
Save Topic
SmarTours MS Kronstad river cruise from St.Petersburg to Mos

I was wondering if I could get some reviews on this Riverboat cruise during summer travel. We are considering the Smartours MS Kronstad St. Pete to Moscow trip this July or August but have never been on any kind of cruise. I'm concerned about AIR CONDITIONING in the cabins mostly (I have a major problem with getting sick in hot weather) , the food, pace of the trip, and any general comments on river cruising in general. Do you feel really cooped up all the time, is it noisy all the time on the ship and do you feel that you get to spend enough time at each port to get a feel for the place? Any comments would be most appreciated. Thank you!

St Petersburg Russia
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: SmarTours MS Kronstad river cruise from St.Petersburg to Mos

I have not been on this ship but I can reply about the voyage generally.

The cruises stop frequently for shore exploration and that also accounts for how long it takes to get to Moscow so there is little worry about being cooped up for extended times. I have never been on a Russian river boat that was air conditioned so if they specify this ship having it that is a good choice for you. It can get warm and humid in August but the it never gets hot. A high would be 82 with 60% humidity, an average would be in the high 70s with occasional rain. July is usually warmer but has lower humidity.

The food is traditional Russian food and buffets usually. Noise should not be a problem, the engines are reasonably isolated but not as quiet as a large ocean going cruise ship. River cruises are relaxing and slow paced, it will stop mostly in rural natural environments, including Lake Ladega and Kizhi and does not stop in larger towns(because there are none) until you get to Moscow. There will be a lot of walking however but none that is strenuous. The ship stops at riverbank docks and not ports so the stops are long enough to taken in pretty much everything available to see in the river side towns and villages.

I just Googled the MS Kronstad and saw the itinerary. It is unfortunate that only one day is used for visiting St Petersburg in the city center because it is a long way to go and be so close to seeing one of the most interesting and beautiful cities in the world and spend only one day in it. The price including air from NYC is quite reasonable since summer flights are rather high getting here from the US.

Have a great voyage

St. Croix, US...
Level Contributor
10 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: SmarTours MS Kronstad river cruise from St.Petersburg to Mos

I was interested in the MS Kronstad 2007 tour through smarTours, as well. Did you ever hear anything back specifically about this ship???? A friend of mine used smarTours, but not on a cruise ship and not for Moscow, and was pleased with the company.

Santa Rosa
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: SmarTours MS Kronstad river cruise from St.Petersburg to Mos

My husband and I just returned from the SmarTours River Boat Tour from St. Petersberg to Moscow. We left JFK on the 18th of June.2007 returned to JFK June 30th.

We had a great trip. Really great! The River Boat was clean and cute, our room was small, but so what..I loved slipping back in there to enjoy a cup of coffee, or read. Picture a little den with a great view window and your own little bathroom with shower.

The food was excellent, the staff was all young and very helpful. We loved our guides, they moved us from venue to venue without a

hitch.

We did sign up for almost all the optional tours. Our favorite was the Moscow Circus, or maybe the Hermitage or the Ballet.

We've travelled alot, we're 63 and 65 and this was really fun.

In regard to the weather, it was very nice, one morning rain only, temperature in the 70's.

Good travelling! Sandy & Bruce

town
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: SmarTours MS Kronstad river cruise from St.Petersburg to Mos

Hi Sandy and Bruce: I read your posting of your Cruise of the Czars with Smartours.

I assume you were on the riverboat called the MS kronstad. That is the name of the riverboat we will on for the same cruise.

I do have some questions. Also, I hope U do rec this em:

We R the same age as U and Bruce:

hair blower in bathroom or should I bring my own w/ convert?

cabin with A/C - yes or no

which deck were U on? We will upgrade to what is called THE MAIN DECK? do U think it is a good choice or is THE UPPER DECK quieter, better for any reason?

Thanks for your help. Kelley

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: SmarTours MS Kronstad river cruise from St.Petersburg to Mos

This is for Kelly who asked the last question on this site and for anyone else knowledgable about this trip with Smartours. Did you get any more answers and, if you already went on this trip with Smartours, will you please let me know what you thought of it? My friend and I (early 60's) would like to go in June, either the 8th or the 18th and also want to know if there is a difference in the route; both use the same ship (MS Kronstad) but one date goes from Moscow to St. Petersburg while the other date goes the opposite direction. Any info you can offer, pros and cons, about the ship, the stops, etc., will be greatly appreciated before we book. Many thanks.

Decatur, Illinois
Level Contributor
39 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: SmarTours MS Kronstad river cruise from St.Petersburg to Mos

I am interested in information about the MS Kronstad and the St. Petersburg to Moscow itinerary. We have looked at several companies and the Smartours is by far the best price. Are there hidden extras or things not anticipated that we should be aware of?

St.Petersburg...
Destination Expert
for St. Petersburg
Level Contributor
1,889 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: SmarTours MS Kronstad river cruise from St.Petersburg to Mos

Dear Redbirdfever,

As far as I know this kind of ships (German production) they all do have airconditioning - though cabins inside are not big looking quite modest.

Regarding the itinerary of Kronstad:

first of all, there are no direct flights from New York to St.Petersburg, probably there should be a change of flight in Moscow (not mentioned in the itinerary).

Second, too meagre time for St.Petersburg - and from my side, I would have offered a different optional tour out of town: first to Pushkin visiting Catherine's palace with its famous Amber room - and then to Peterhof to see fountains (without other places due to short time available) with lunch at the Gallery restaurant of the Grand Peterhof palace (or - with possible lunch boxes from the ship). If interested - you are welcome. You can write to me directly.

Moscow: it is not mentioned whether they do include visit to the Armoury Chamber museum, actual treasury of the Russian tsars...

One more: it is not mentioned about processing visas - probably, it should be added.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: SmarTours MS Kronstad river cruise from St.Petersburg to Mos

just got back from MS Kronstad. The A/C WAS a problem -- could never quite get it to work consistenly and it was very noisy. Luckily it was not very hot out. But don't open the windows -- the mosquitoes are fierce. I did not spend much time in the cabin -- it was small, but had sufficient storage space. Wierd showers. The food was bland -- take seasoning! Some of the smaller towns just felt like excuses to part tourists with their money, but the tour guides were very knowledgeable and the larger cities were amazingly interesting. Great museums, entertainment, etc. The cruise directors were outstanding.

Denver, CO
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: SmarTours MS Kronstad river cruise from St.Petersburg to Mos

Could you tell me what direction you traveled -Moscow or St. Petersburg first. Did you find any of the places mentioned in their iternary closed? What type of optional tours did they provide? Thanks.

Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: SmarTours MS Kronstad river cruise from St.Petersburg to Mos

Good Morning/evening,

I live in Western

Australia and would like to know if I can book through SmarTours? Alternatively, does anyone know of an agent in Australia who will book on MS Kronstad?

Regards

Dianne