We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moscow to Beijing, cheaply??

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Moscow to Beijing, cheaply??

Hiya,

I'm looking at travelling from Moscow to Beijing in September 2011 and I was wondering if I'd be able to purchase tickets at the stations along the way?

I'm looking to go Moscow-Irkutsk then Irkutsk-Ulaan Bator, Ulan Bator-Beijing. I'm wanting to travel as cheap as possible!!

Any info on being able to purchase tickets at this time of year at the stations in Russia and any idea on pricing would be appreciated!

Thanks

Sarah

Siberia
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Moscow to Beijing, cheaply??

Hello! I think you can buy tickets at the stations. At least that many times I have bought train tickets for 1-2 days before departure, it was at different times of the year, and in September, too. The ticket price depends on time of year, the class of car and train (the train company will always be more expensive), the place you want to take the train (the lower position or upper position).

Interesting information can be found here: http://travel-guide-to-siberia.com/

Siberia
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moscow to Beijing, cheaply??

The types of cars I wrote recently in a nearby topic. As for prices, for example, a train ticket from Moscow to Irkutsk can cost 3000 - 15000 rubles. Price will also depend on where and when you buy the tickets. If you buy it at the station or website Railways, it will be cheaper. Official website of Russian Railways here: http://eng.rzd.ru/

If you buy tickets through travel agency, it will be expensive, sometimes much more expensive.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
1,681 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moscow to Beijing, cheaply??

I did the transiberian from Moscow to Vladivostok a year ago in October, all the way in third class. Don't ask.......it was horrendous but I firmly believe every travel experience, even the bad ones are still great when you have done it. You can of course travel first or second class which is much nicer and you wont be sharing with 53 other people. The other trains are the trans mongolian and the trans manchurian. For a lot of the russian part of the trip they take exactly the same route. The split the route as far as I recall at Ulan Ude. I booked my ticket a couple of months in advance and a couple of weeks before I wanted to change my bunk from a top to a bottom. By then they were all full up, so I dont know how or if if would work if you just turn up - it would certainly be cheaper but you may find there are no places. Also bear in mind that if you get off on route you have to be sure you have rebooked the next part of the journey as all the bunks in whichever class you travel in are prebooked. I booked with a company called real russia in the uK and they could probably answer all your questions.

have a great trip and good luck

angie

www.angietravels.com

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines
Level Contributor
11,102 posts
2,068 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moscow to Beijing, cheaply??

When I travelled on the Trans Manchurian from Beijing to Ulan Ude and onto Moscow with no enroute overnight stops, I did so first lcass.

Three years ago, the fare was A$2000 (US$2060 at current exchange rate) one way. I am sure that this is more expensive than turning up and trying to book, but the difficultyu with the latter is that the trains are full while at some enroute stations there may not be anybody who speaks English.

In most countries I turn up and book on a Japan Rail Pass, a Eurail or so on, but in Russia and China, this seems too difficult to my chagrin, because it limits the itinerary.

Remember that Russia's archaic and restrictive visas require you to be 'invited' by a Russain-connected travel agency; when you are there, within a few days (my recollection is that it is six), you must have another paper slip inserted into your passport. failure to do so means a fine of above A$150 if detected: I was asked to show my passport by a brusque police officer at a Moscow Metro station who was standing between two platforms. Fortunately I had both the passport and the just-obtained attachment with me.

5. Re: Moscow to Beijing, cheaply??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 April 2013, 10:16
Get answers to your questions about Siberian District