We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National Olympic Houses

tampa
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
National Olympic Houses

At London 2012, there must have been close to 30 National Houses, so far I've seen these planned for Sochi;

Switzerland

http://www.houseofswitzerland.org/news

United States (in Coastal Cluster)

sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/…

Holland (south of Coastal Cluster)

http://www.hollandheinekenhouse.nl/agecheck

Austria (near Mountain Cluster)

http://sochi.tirol.at/en/austria-tirol-house/

Holland required a ticket for entrance in 2012, have not heard how it's being done in 2014.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
206 posts
77 reviews
84 helpful votes
1. Re: National Olympic Houses

I recall in 2010 Vancouver the Heineken House (Holland) didn't require a ticket in the mornings, when mostly families visited the venue/exhibits and watched olympic competition on screens there. The best souvenir back then was the gold medal beer opener!

Will the USA House be open to the public? In Vancouver and London, the shop was open to the public but not the actual "house".

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,579 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
2. Re: National Olympic Houses

I worked at the Vancouver USA House as a volunteer, and it is my understanding that the USA Houses are not open to the public, but only to sponsors, bigger donors, invited guests, athlete's families (they each get some passes), medal winners get a party there, certain media members. The shop was in fact not open to the public, but only to members of the Olympic 'family', which could mean members of other Olympic committees, more media people, etc. The definition of Olympic 'family' was broader than the access allowed to the House itself and was controlled by the staff working the front door. Friends of the volunteers were also allowed into the store, and we each got a couple of passes to use on nights we weren't working.

The reason for this, as I understood it at the time, is that the USOC is not funded by the US government, but by sponsors and donors. Therefore it is not open to the general public but is for the use of those people. As to the shop, they cannot compete with apparel licensed by the IOC and for sale at the local shops, therefore the store cannot be open to the general public.

At least that is how it was in Vancouver, and while I am not heading over to Sochi I would assume that things are probably pretty much the same.

Chicago
Level Contributor
8,579 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
3. Re: National Olympic Houses

Just as an aside, Heineken House was by far the most fun place to visit in Vancouver. I actually went the day before the Opening Ceremonies, there was no line for anything, I got to see everything and play all the interactive games, and came home with a couple of the gold medal beer openers as gifts.

tampa
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: National Olympic Houses

Saw this on the Sochi 2014 site;

Currently the Olympic Park includes: NOC Hospitality Houses of Russia, Krasnodar Region Hospitality House, Switzerland, PyeongChang 2018 Organizing Committee, Japan House.

Prague
Level Contributor
71 posts
13 reviews
11 helpful votes
5. Re: National Olympic Houses

Czech House is at hotel Oasis in part of the Adler (Lenin street 219), it is behind the hotel Vesna at the coast.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1956128-d26940…

Edited: 31 January 2014, 05:59
tampa
Level Contributor
118 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: National Olympic Houses

There appears to be extra tickets available for most days at Heineken Holland House now;

hollandheinekenhouse-tickets.nl/hollandheine…

United States
Level Contributor
86 posts
7. Re: National Olympic Houses

Tampa,

Thank you so much!! I just applied. Hopefully I get tickets for the house.

United States
Level Contributor
86 posts
8. Re: National Olympic Houses

How long did it take to receive confirmation back from the Heneiken House about the dates you selected?

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,736 posts
9. Re: National Olympic Houses

It took about 10 minutes in my case. I would re-apply.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
73 posts
7 reviews
10. Re: National Olympic Houses

Hi Bradley,

If you applied on Friday, it may take a few days. It took about 3 business days for me.