We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sochi 2014 - Cell Phone Coverage & Laptop Internet Options

R K
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Topic
Sochi 2014 - Cell Phone Coverage & Laptop Internet Options

It looks like MegaFon will be one of the best options for purchasing a local sim card for cell phone coverage:

…megafon.com/plans/welcome_to_sochi_2014/

The base plan costs 400 RUR with an option for the Country 2014 which costs an additional 800RUR. The Country 2014 details can be found here: http://sochi2014.megafon.com/download/~kavkaz/~krasnodar/Country_2014_detailled_info.pdf

The base subscribe fee includes:

• 900 minutes for calls to MegaFon numbers all over Russia and numbers of other operators in Krasnodar Territory (incl. Sochi) and Republic of Adygeya

• 3 Gb of Mobile Internet (awesome)

• 600 SMS/MMS to any mobile numbers of Krasnodar Territory (incl. Sochi) and Republic of Adygeya

• Long-Distance Calls — 3 RUR/min

Country 2014 option adds:

• International Calls — 14 RUR/min

I have also been researching internet access for my laptop, if the Louis Olympia doesn't have sufficient coverage or any internet coverage at all. MegaFon also offers this internet plan:

…megafon.com/internet/…price

I have no idea if this is a wi-fi plan or not, as the website isn't very specific. In digging even further, it does look like MegaFon also sells connectivity devices such as a usb stick, but again I don't see much information regarding these options:

http://sochi2014.megafon.com/internet/4g/

Vlad or anyone else in Russia, do you have any more details on whether their "Internet" plans are wi-fi plans or something else?

London, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sochi 2014 - Cell Phone Coverage & Laptop Internet Options

Great thread RK, thanks for starting it!

In the same vein, I'm wondering what's the free wifi cover? Is it common to provide free wifi in coffee shops and restaurants?

Moscow, Russia
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
2,946 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sochi 2014 - Cell Phone Coverage & Laptop Internet Options

Yes, it is common in Russia to have free wi-fi in coffee shops and restaurants. The network is either just free, or you have to ask waiter for the password.

tampa
Level Contributor
110 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sochi 2014 - Cell Phone Coverage & Laptop Internet Options

I looked, and did not see.

Is Moscow included in the weekly Megafon price?

Has anyone seen Megafon offices set up in Sochi/Adler?

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sochi 2014 - Cell Phone Coverage & Laptop Internet Options

…megafon.com/internet/…price

I have no idea if this is a wi-fi plan or not, as the website isn't very specific.

This is a phone internet plan - you activate it by dialing *whatever* on the phone.

Irvine, California
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sochi 2014 - Cell Phone Coverage & Laptop Internet Options

For Wi-Fi, XCom Global has offered a discount rate for anyone renting a mobile hotspot for the olympics.

www.pr.com/press-release/538117…

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
2,189 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sochi 2014 - Cell Phone Coverage & Laptop Internet Options

For $30 you can just buy a 4G modem from Megafon, including 8Gb of free Internet: …megafon.ru/internet/…more

Edited: 22 January 2014, 17:22
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sochi 2014 - Cell Phone Coverage & Laptop Internet Options

So you just dial that number? You do not need to switch SIM cards?

New York, NY
Level Contributor
206 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sochi 2014 - Cell Phone Coverage & Laptop Internet Options

Lan M, have you ever used mobile wifi? Is it secure? If I get a local Russian SIM card (Megafon) then I'll have 4G access on my unlocked smartphone, right?

Vlad, if I buy the $30 4G model from Megafon, that will enable me to connect to wifi? Sorry I've never used mobile wifi hotspot before and I'm just figuring out which method (getting local SIM card or getting mobile wifi hotspot) will be best for me.

I'd like to be able to use the Sochi 2014 mobile app while there --- especially while up in the mountains. I recall in Vancouver there were several mountain events postponed to different times/dates due to lack of snow.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
206 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sochi 2014 - Cell Phone Coverage & Laptop Internet Options

Oh and also use Facebook app, Twitter app, and google maps so I don't get lost! I won't need video streaming or anything like that. That reminds me to also bring an adapter. I presume in Russia they use the European standard (2 circular prongs?)

New York
Destination Expert
for Moscow
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sochi 2014 - Cell Phone Coverage & Laptop Internet Options

So you just dial that number? You do not need to switch SIM cards?

I guess it is directed at my post? Yes you need to have the megafon SIM and then you can switch to the plan. You also need to have Ru 2014 in your account!