We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit of Volgadrad

Dubai
2 posts
Save Topic
Visit of Volgadrad

I'm from the UAE Dubai, and wish to visit this beautiful town of Volgograd. Can someone give me info starting by entering through the airport and finally when are the good times one can leave his hotel room to visit the town? are credit cards in use there? or cash money is important. please I'll be happy to communicate on my mail

hmzubedi@hotmail.com

Hasan

'The Motherland Calls' Sculpture
Monuments & Statues, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Mamayev Hill Monuments
Battlefields, Monuments & Statues
The Eternal Flame
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
984 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit of Volgadrad

Hi

-am happy to answer your questions?

To help, what Hotel are you staying at?

DCtheKiwi

Raleigh, North...
Level Contributor
49 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit of Volgadrad

Volgograd airport is very small and uncomfortable. There's absolutely nothing to do there in case your flight is delayed. Once you fly in and claim your luggage, walk right out of the building and get a cab into the city (there are always quite a few waiting).

Not sure what hotel you'll be staying at, but book one in the center (Central District or Voroshilovsky District) so that it's easy to get around and close to points of interest. Inturist is good, Uzhnaya is not bad from what I've heard and just a few steps from trolleybus stop.

Getting around the city is easy since it's built on a grid pattern. The center is very walkable. Public transportation - buses, trolleybuses, trams and a "metrotram" - run frequently enough that you won't even need a schedule. There are lots of minibuses that seem to go to pretty much any part of town, but those can be confusing without a good knowledge of their routes (the maps seem to be nonexistent). If you speak a bit of Russian, here's the site to figure out public transportation options - http://www.volgograd.ru/transport/

In any case, there are lots of cabs and, compared to Moscow and St. Petersburg, very cheap (plus you can negotiate). Walking around the center is safe any time during the day. I'd suggest avoiding large parks along the river later at night though. Last time I went to Volgograd I walked around the Central district and the embankment as late as midnight.

Dubai
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit of Volgadrad

thanks alot for your time and information.

4. Re: Visit of Volgadrad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 January 2011, 05:16