We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using the Guangzhou MTR

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
332 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Using the Guangzhou MTR

I was wondering what would be the best way to use the MTR for 2 days? Do we buy a card like the octopus card or just individual tickets. Are there are English speaking people working at the train station who can help us?

Thanks

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using the Guangzhou MTR

They have an English website.I don't think it can be that hard to use: http://www.gzmtr.com/en/ There are videos explaining how to use the system. They have multi journey tickets, or you can just buy single fares.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
332 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using the Guangzhou MTR

Hi there,

Thanks I checked the website but I can't seem to find anything on how to buy multiple trip tickets etc.

Dublin
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Using the Guangzhou MTR

There seems to be two main multi trip deals - a card that gives you a preset amount of trips (around 25 IIRC) of trips and a card that you preload that gives you a small discount over standard per trip. I use this one as the credit is valid for a long time and i just use it as and when needed, if you are going back to GZ several times a year on business then its worth it, otherwise it is not.

For two days neither are worth it, there a loads of machines in every station , just pay per trip, its very cheap compared to western subway prices.

The machines are in English and Chinese , take notes and coins, they really are very user friendly so don't worry about that.

Edited: 21 August 2010, 18:42
Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Using the Guangzhou MTR

Most trips on the subway are between just 1 and 3 RMB. So we never bother with a stored-value card. As someone else said, the machines take notes (even those dirty, crumped notes) and display in English.

One day I somehow lost my ticket (I still can't recall what I did with it!) and when I arrived at the destination station (Huangsha), I explained my predicament to the station staff. Their English was very good and they were very helpful. I had to pay the maximum fair (RMB11) to get through the gate-- didn't have the brazenness to just walk under the barrier like some of the locals :)

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,554 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Using the Guangzhou MTR

I agree that it is not worth the effort to get an IC card since there are only 4/5 lines and the fare is only a few kuai each time. If you save 1 yuan coins they are easier to use in the machines.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
332 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Using the Guangzhou MTR

Thanks all that's sounds easy!, appreciate the help

Burleigh Heads...
Level Contributor
286 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Using the Guangzhou MTR

When we went to GZ the last time we decided to purchase the multi card can't remember what they call it. It was so funny, the guy in the ticket booth didn't speak english so hubby all of 6'1 & 150kgs was doing cherades with him. I couldn't stop laughing. In the end we got our tickets. I think it would be easier just to catch cabs. Now there is another story. It is like a ride at Dreamworld catching a cab in GZ . They are fast furious and don't care who is on the road they just go for it. I don't know how many times we nearly ran over someone. Hubby would always put me in the front hence I have grey hair. lol!!! So my answer to your question is take cabs they are cheap and pack some valium.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2,329 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Using the Guangzhou MTR

But getting a cab at night can be really, really difficult. After shopping till the shops shut (about 10pm), we decided to take a cab instead of the MTR... cab upon cab passed us, totally full. Then, of course, other people are all trying to find a cab, so it was a battle when there was an empty taxi. Took us about half an hour to get a cab. So perhaps the MTR is better at this time... One good thing about Guangzhou taxis, though, is that they will use the meter (some will try not to, but just point and say 'meter' and they will comply), unlike other parts of china...

9. Re: Using the Guangzhou MTR

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2011, 07:26