We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

buying train tiket from guangzhou to HK

London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
buying train tiket from guangzhou to HK

HI

Hope that someone could help.

WIll arrive at Baiyun airport on 19/11, 0030 hrs. Plan to buy the earliest express train ticket to HK at Gzhou east station on 19/11. Does it possible to buy train ticket on the spot? I read somewhere that you need to buy at least 6 hours in advance in China (i dont remember where that I read it), which sounds unbelievable but still possible. Anyone with any experience buying ticket on the spot and travel within few mins after that? Thanks

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
2 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: buying train tiket from guangzhou to HK

Hey, I live in HK and been to Guangzhou several times from here. I haven't gone in the past 2 years but I've gone several times before that. you don't need to be at the station 6 hours in advance. You just need enough time ahead of you to clear immigration. I bought my ticket a few minutes before the next train.

Also, i've missed the last train a few times from both gz and HK, and I've taken those illegal taxis at the train station (or at the border in Huanggang). They're supposed to be dangerous, but they got me to the border checkpoint.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,500 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: buying train tiket from guangzhou to HK

As long as the tickets are not sold out, you can buy them. You may need to be there about 30min before departure - this is the requirement as far as I remember. Some traines are usually full. In this case it is better to buy the day before.

London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: buying train tiket from guangzhou to HK

HI Liukuei

Thanks for your reply. I am just checking, the one that you said buying few minutes before departure, does it apply to buying in guangzhou too? I know we can buy HK-Gzhou ticket on the spot but very vogue about Guangzhou to HK. Sounds good though if I could buy it few mins before departing Gzhou. From your experience, was the train Gzhou-HK always full? I prefer to get on the morning train from gzhou to hk on the 19/11 but if it is full I am quite flexible to get a bit later time or perhaps the next day. 19/11 falls on Saturday, so does it make more crowded cmparev to weekdays morning?

thank you

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Beijing, Shanghai Region, Shenzhen, Bangkok
Level Contributor
7,500 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: buying train tiket from guangzhou to HK

Morning trains are often busy on weekdays, at least the ones from HK, bu I assune both ways. Same at early evenings. To buy tickets is not a problem in China as well. I do more often SZ GZ, but also HK GZ.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,963 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: buying train tiket from guangzhou to HK

Train schedule here: http://www.tiglion.com/english/travel/china/train.html#Guangzhou%20(East)

It is a lot cheaper to take the bus, RMB80, vs HK$390. Oct 2010 we took train from GZ to HKG, it was RMB230. About same time, bus 2-2.5 hours, train 2 hours but must add 1 hour extra in both stations. GZ also has bus goes straight o HKIA (Airport).

Midnight arrival, how are you going to spend that 7 hours?

London, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: buying train tiket from guangzhou to HK

Thank you for all of your replies..

May need to rethink about when, either to risk it on the 19th or going a bit later (or a day perhaps).

Macbcmini

If we take bus, do we need to stop at shenzhen for border & immigration control and then reboard again? I am worried if it take took long to clear the immigration, bus will leave us....I have the same experience while crossing from Singapore to Malaysia..My, how panic I was...anyway..good suggestion..will study this option too..

Actually I have look at any possibility to spend the night within airport compound but so far the review were not encouraging. We may need to find nearby hotel to spend the night, wake up fresh for traveling the next morning!

thank you!!

Edited: 10 October 2011, 19:58
Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
176 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: buying train tiket from guangzhou to HK

@macbc

I'm thinking about going to China in Mar 2012. As I've read TA forum and guidebooks buying train tickets can be a real pain. That really puts me off !

Can you tell me if taking the bus is safe or not please. I don't speak Chinese.

Thank you.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,623 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: buying train tiket from guangzhou to HK

>> Train schedule here:

>> http://www.tiglion.com/english/travel/china/train.html#Guangzhou%20(East)

>> It is a lot cheaper to take the bus, RMB80, vs HK$390.

I don't recall the Through Train ticket being so high (one way). I looked at that website. It seems to be a travel agent's website and travel agent's rate. If you take a look at the website by MTR, the published fare is HKD $190 from Guangzhou East to Hung Hom. I bought mine through CTS while I was in Hong Kong and that was about how much I paid if I remember it correctly. I would imagine if you buy the ticket in Guangzhou it may be at a different rate. But a difference of 100% seems quite high. Can it be that it's the travel agent's profit margin?

www.it3.mtr.com.hk/B2C/frmFareGuangdong.asp…

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,623 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: buying train tiket from guangzhou to HK

>> If we take bus, do we need to stop at shenzhen for border & immigration control and then reboard again? I am worried if it take took long to clear the immigration, bus will leave us....

Yes you do need to stop for border crossing (immigration and custom). It is done at Shenzhen Bay border check point. Shouldn't need to worry - there are plenty of bus schedules going to various drop off points in Kowloon/Hong Kong. If you "miss" one, I think they should be able to put you on the next one. (Which drop off point in Hong Kong are you going to?) My experience of going through Shenzhen Bay, it didn't take long at all. But I used Hong Kong ID card (electronic). Foreigners using passports may take longer.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,623 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: buying train tiket from guangzhou to HK

>> Can you tell me if taking the bus is safe or not please. I don't speak Chinese.

catcatab: when you asked if the bus is "safe", what did you mean? Which aspect of safety were you concerning about? Bus accident statistics? Or the procedure of getting off and bus, going through border check point, and be able to board another bus on the Hong Kong side without any mix-up?