We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guangzhou to Hong Kong via train or bus

Which Guangzhou hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
2 posts
Save Topic
Guangzhou to Hong Kong via train or bus

I am arriving at the Guangzhou airport at 17:00 hours. I have heard there is a bus directly from the Guangzhou airport to Hong Kong. Or I can take a train to Hong Kong - how far is the train station from the Guangzhou airport - what is the best way to get from the airport to the train station. thanks

Edited: 12 January 2012, 22:09
Vancouver
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Guangzhou to Hong Kong via train or bus

I am arriving at the Guangzhou airport at 17:00 hours. I have heard there is a bus directly from the Guangzhou airport to Hong Kong. Or I can take a train to Hong Kong - how far is the train station from the Guangzhou airport - what is the best way to get from the airport to the train station. thanks

Edited: 12 January 2012, 22:10
Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,941 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guangzhou to Hong Kong via train or bus

If you take the train:

From Guangzhou Bai Yun Airport, take the metro (subway) from Airport South Station to Guangzhou East Railway Station stop. (Metro Line 3.) Then walk to the Guangzhou East Railway Station.

There are two to three "Through Train" schedules after 18:00 that you can take to go from Guangzhou to Hung Hom (Hong Kong).

it3.mtr.com.hk/B2C/frmScheduleGuangdong.asp…

If you can't get the tickets on the Through Train, you may also take a highspeed train from Guangzhou East to Shenzhen. Then walk across the border to Lo Wu (Hong Kong). Then take the MTR (subway) on the Hong Kong side to your destination in Hong Kong.

chinatrainguide.com/guangzhou-railway-statio…

Guangzhou metro map:

http://www.excelguangzhou.com/subway.html

Edited: 13 January 2012, 00:02
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guangzhou to Hong Kong via train or bus

Hi to all, I will be doing something similar in April-after staying 12 nights in GZ, husband and I will head to HK for 10 nights. Is there a significant price and time and "mucking around" difference between taking the "Through train" GZ to HK verses the high speed train to SZ, then walking across the border to Lo Wu to take MTR to HK?

I ask this because we are an older couple (late 50's) and in 2010 we travelled both directions (HK-GZ) and (GZ-HK) on the "through train" without any drama, but we like to vary our visits and transport alittle when we return to a particular destination.

Our only concern would be the fact that we will have mid size suitcases with us and do not want to be caught out lugging cases up and down , round and around different terminals etc. Our final destination in HK will be a hotel in North Point HK Island

thanks in anticipation,

Von on Tour

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,289 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guangzhou to Hong Kong via train or bus

Going through Shenzhen will result in a detour. The walk to the border and then on to the subway is not too bad with luggage.

The advantage is that there are more trains going to Shenzhen (about every 15 minutes) so you can just show up at the station and leave within 30 minutes. It is more difficult to get tickets to HK on the spot. since you have time to buy tickets ahead of time you should consider heading directly to HK.

Surabaya, Indonesia
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Guangzhou to Hong Kong via train or bus

Hi Von on Tour,

Going to Hongkong with GZ Through Train is more convenient if you bring luggage. If you bring a bulky bag you can deposit your bag at Guangzhou East Train Station after the immigration check. If you take the train from Guangzhou to Shenzhen, you as Jean-Pierre D said, you will need to drag your luggage in the Shenzhen - HK border.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guangzhou to Hong Kong via train or bus

Thanks for your input. We have never been to Shenzen, so we may include it as one of our "day Trips" from GZ anyway and we will get a feel for the options - but I think from advice given we would be better to stick withh the GK-HK through train when we leave.

ciao

Von on Tour

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,439 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guangzhou to Hong Kong via train or bus

You may also consider taking the bus, which drops you off on Kowloon or HKG streets. Last time we took the bus, was RMB80, from GZ to HKG, it dropped us off in front of our Kowloon hotel, going from HKG to GZ, it picked us up right next to our Marco Polo hotel in Kowloom, no taxi, no line, no transfer, door to door.

Trains has many lines, before and after, checking luggage cost money, tickets were RMB230 each last year. Once you get off the train, you need to get out of the station and wait in a long taxi line to get to HKG side. vs when you get off the bus, you are standing on a busy HKG street with a zillion people next to you, very exciting.

But train is more romantic, despite the triple cost and lines.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
152 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Guangzhou to Hong Kong via train or bus

Thanks, it is worth looking into the buses just for a variation on the travel experience

ciao

Von on Tour

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
15 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guangzhou to Hong Kong via train or bus

hi. i would like to ask. how is it then to buy tickets from guangzhou to hong kong? for instance, if i were to board the bus from china hotel, do i buy the ticket there and then and straightaway hop into the bus ? or how should i go about it? or is there a specific big station where i can by my bus tickets?

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
15,941 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guangzhou to Hong Kong via train or bus

blty86:

If you go to China Hotel, you should see a tiny ticket booth at or near the parking lot where the bus would come in and load/unload passengers. You should be able to buy the bus tickets there. (Bus drivers don't handle ticket sales.) If you don't see it, walk in to China Hotel and ask the workers at the Conceige Desk. They should be able to tell you.