We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Decent budget hotels/apartments near Canton Fair?

Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Decent budget hotels/apartments near Canton Fair?

We might be visiting the Canton fair in mid-October. Can anyone recommend some decent hotels near the Canton Fair?

As we will be at the fair all day, we would:

a. not like to spend too much on the stay;

b. not like to spend much time travelling to/from the Fair.

Additional requirements:

- Staff should understand english.

- Preferably... have wi-fi available.

Thanks in advance.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,932 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Decent budget hotels/apartments near Canton Fair?

Hotel prices sky rocket during the fair. So when you say "not like to spend too much", how much is too much?

Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Decent budget hotels/apartments near Canton Fair?

I don't have a number in mind. By "not too much" I meant that I am not neccesarily looking for 5-star properties.

And 3-star apartment/hotel that has easy access to the Fair will do.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
20,932 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Decent budget hotels/apartments near Canton Fair?

Take a look at the left side of this page under Guangzhou hotels. Be prepared for sticker shock during the Fair.

4. Re: Decent budget hotels/apartments near Canton Fair?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 October 2013, 06:05
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,249 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Decent budget hotels/apartments near Canton Fair?

Where did you end up staying? ome feedback might be helpful for other fair-goers.

Incheon, South Korea
Level Contributor
226 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Decent budget hotels/apartments near Canton Fair?

I was in Guangzhou for 11 days from 19 October 2013 and this is my two cents' worth.

If one is going there to attend the Canton Fair and 'face' matters, then where one stays also matters. When asked "Where are you putting up?", would there be a difference between replying:

(1) At - name of a 5 star hotel

or

(2) At - name of a guesthouse - near Guangzhou Railway Station?

If you are backpacking and do not need all those bells and whistles, would be out all day visiting various places and getting soaked in the local way of life, melting into the crowd, travelling local ie by bus and metro and even motorcycle and electric bicycle, risking limb and life, then, it does not make sense to pay to stay in a 5 star or even 2 star hotel. You are never going to make use of a swimming pool or sauna or be at a lobby listening to a musician playing the violin. And I am sure you did not go to Guangzhou to swim or listen to someone playing a violin - things you can get back home.

Yours Truly spent RMB 50 per night (no typo error) staying in a guesthouse. 7 nights in all. That's RMB 350. The first 4 nights were a little luxury for me, as I had booked an hotel room through Agoda for (after the conversion rate) RMB 96 per night. I did not book for all 11 nights as I was confident - very confident - that I would be able to find cheaper accommodation which could not be found on the internet. They are small, they are not sophisticated, but believe me, really liveable. Of course, I was not in Guangzhou for the Canton Fair. I was there for a vacation, and I was my own tour guide. Backpacker, you can call it, but it was really fun. The Metro was great and you could not ever get lost.

With all the money saved, I made a trip to Dongguan and Foshan to explore two more cities. I ate local food just to get a feel of how being local was like even though I could have pampered myself with a nice buffet or something a la carte at a 5 star hotel.

For the fainted hearted, you are advised to not do it MY WAY. If you are a seasoned backpacker, I am sure you should not have any problem navigating Guangzhou with its excellent transport system even if you do not speak much or any Chinese..

Edited: 01 November 2013, 03:55
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,388 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Decent budget hotels/apartments near Canton Fair?

Eric, Great spirit, that's the way to travel, kudo to you. Nothing stand in your way. Comparing you to those tourists constantly worrying the locals are out to cheat them, or nonstop complaining about airlines and everything, you are an excellent and exemplary traveler.

As for cheapie hotels, I have visited a couple of those very local 1 or 2 stars hotels, because their locations are sooooo good, even better than 5 stars hotels or just across the street from the best hotels, I asked my wife "how bad can they be?" I am a man of the world, I always love an adventure, surely I can handle it. We visited the rooms, no, I cannot handle them, I'd hate myself ad apologize to my wife everyday when returned to the hotel. But I am sure I had no problem staying there in my youth, a bed is always better than no bed. Enjoy the adventure, because maybe one day you will turn into a spoiled old fox like me.

As for Guangzhou public transportation, after 30 trips in 20 years, I have not try them yet. But again, I am sure in my youth, a very crowded bus or subway would have been heaven sent compared to walking.

The beauty of youth, money is irrelevant, I envy you. Please do post more often on Guangzhou forum.

Incheon, South Korea
Level Contributor
226 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Decent budget hotels/apartments near Canton Fair?

@ macbcmini

It really depends on what you want from your trip to Guangzhou or for that matter, to any city anywhere in the world. If you are travelling with the queen (wifey), well, I agree that expectations between both of you could be different. But not all wives behave like queens and I know of some who happened to be even more thrifty than their husbands.

As for me, I travelled solo this time round (and most of the time). And my objective was to know a place, in this case, Guangzhou, by living as much like the locals as possible. This is not something which everybody can do, and I would add, is not something MOST PEOPLE can do. We are talking about accommodation here but I believe most visitors would also find most of the local food unpalatable. In the end, they would end up eating at the hotel or if they are far from one, then, it's got to be - if worse comes to worst - a MacD or KFC restaurant, and of course, coffee at Starbucks.

How many people can take to eating zar jiang mian, liangpi, Lanzhou Niurou Lamian or wanton noodles? Or how about a soup with the chicken feet in it, if not some unknown-to-most-foreigners animal parts of the reptilian family, instead of say, Minestrone or Cream of Chicken soup?

Back to the budget hotel discussion.

A budget of RMB 150 and upwards should get you a local 3 star hotel which comes with an attached bathroom with hot water, aircon, TV, wifi, the usual toilet/bathroom amenities and even a comb! I know of no hotel in the West which provides a comb with the hotel name and logo on it, and you are welcome to bring it home with you. You'd be lucky if they even provide you with a toothbrush and toothpaste!

Most of the local hotels even provide complimentary tea and use of an electric kettle. During the Canton Fair, prices went up to something like RMB 180 - 200. I know because whenever I passed by one, which was quite often, I would walk in and enquire.

Anyway, I did not need all those soap bars, towels, shavers, tea bags and what have you. I went to the local supermarket and bought a bar of soap and a hand towel, both for less than RMB 20. I used that for the entire 11 days. To me, it did not make sense to pay RMB 100 plus more PER DAY just to have the chambermaid replenishing my room with tiny soap bars and changing bath towels for me daily. I lived like the local but also lived as if I was at home. I made myself feel at home, away from home.

To me, all I needed was a bed and the next morning, I would be out of the place exploring all the nooks, crannies and back alleys, besides whatever places that are recommended or mentioned on wiki and of course, Tripadvisor. Of course, I am a backpacker and would not expect everybody to be doing what I did/do/will still do.

Edited: 01 November 2013, 08:00
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,388 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Decent budget hotels/apartments near Canton Fair?

Eric, Since many questions are about hotels and locations, I have been wanting to write a topic about Guangzhou hotels, prices and locations, etc.. but it remains on my To-Do list. TA also wanted me to write a an intro, but I never got around to it.

Maybe you can help by writing a new Topic, such as "Guangzhou cheap hotels" or "Backpacking in Guiangzhou" I can put the topic in Guangzhou forum's "Top Questions" on the top right side of page. They will have a longer lifespan and read by many visitors.

Okay to copy and paste what you've written, everyone else can contribute to this topic with other suggestions. Be sure to have some specific data and suggestion, such as name, area, what's nearby, cost, etc.. something a first time visitor can read and act upon without further questions. For example , Love Motel at 123 Lover's Lane Guangzhou is 20RMB a night, located in a busy shopping center, take subway line 10 at Fu Manchu exit, etc..

I think you info can be very helpful to many people. Guangzhou is rapidly changing, it is becoming quite exciting.

Edited: 01 November 2013, 23:46
Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Decent budget hotels/apartments near Canton Fair?

Sorry to interupt your conversations.

To post No.8

"zar jiang mian, liangpi, Lanzhou Niurou Lamian or wanton noodles"

Except wanton noodles, none of the rest is local Cantonese food. True that they are in a lot places though.

Love to read "a soup with the chicken feet in it" "some unknown-to-most-foreigners animal parts of the reptilian family". XDDD