We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

China Southern Airlines

Which Guangzhou hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
brisbane
Level Contributor
117 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
China Southern Airlines

Has anybody used CSA ..I've heard so many negetive comments about this airlines. Any feed back would be great. Thanks.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,345 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: China Southern Airlines

Domestic or international. I have flown with them domestic several times and they were fine. You can find negative comments on every single airline.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,486 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: China Southern Airlines

I have been on China Southern many times, mostly inside China, twice LAX-CAN-LAX. They are okay, just like every other airlines, not good and not bad. Quantas is no better, how many strikes and layoffs? The biggest difference is in which class you sit in, it is great in business class even in the worst airlines. Other than that, and take off the racial lense,they are all the same, same seats, same room, same food, same fake smile.

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: China Southern Airlines

I flew international with them and I found the quality to be lower than AirChina.. not "horrible".. but noticeably lower quality.

As for domestic, they are good for their meals.. and a little bit friendlier than domestic AirChina, I have found. The thing with AirChina is that they are the fastest and most efficient of the fleets. They are a no fuss, no delay airline. With all the others, there are frequent delays (but I'm talking about 10 or 15 minutes.. not hours) and it takes longer to get in to the air.. not sure if this is because AirChina has priority on the runways or not..

In the end.. CSA are a good choice for domestic but I'd probably go with AirChina for international. Bear in mind though.. that CSA is not a bad international line.. just a personal preference for me would be to not fly with them again if I had another option of similar price.

Edited: 31 January 2013, 23:46
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,345 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: China Southern Airlines

Air China no delay??? Not my experience. While I find delays in China much better than in North America, Air China flights were the worst for me. I think that all these things are fairly random in any case.

Sydney, New South...
Level Contributor
72 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: China Southern Airlines

That's true. It it's a big country with thousands of flights every day.. so you are definitely bound to get mishaps regardless. However over the last 5 or 6 years of travel in China, AirChina has been consistently the one being efficient to get people on the plane, take off, land and disembark faster than the others. However, their customer service and inflight amenities/food is of a lower standard than the non-AirChina ones I've used.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: China Southern Airlines

If only domestic, no remarkable difference which to fly.

brisbane
Level Contributor
117 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: China Southern Airlines

Thank you guys

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,486 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: China Southern Airlines

Other than weather delay, China Southern has been always on time for me.

CSA needs to train their stewardess to smile, pretend to be happy is their job, competition is fierce to become a stewardess, I sense arrogance in CSA stewardess.

For me, the only major difference about airlines are the airline stewardess, Koreans have that icy plastic surgery beauty look, all beautiful but all look the same, Japanese are extra polite, Singapore is good, Thai too, Cathay is ok. China Southern is not on my list, but still better than American carriers, they have grandma airline stewardess, efficient but mean, Union survivors of too many rounds of layoff, strikes, bankruptcies and pay cuts.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: China Southern Airlines

I flew with China Southern from Paris to Guangzhou and from Guangzhou to Sydney, and I will be flying with them again to come back home. I have flown with Korean Air, Air France, Air Lingus, United, KLM, and some others.

I should say I was a bit worried when I read some of the comments on the internet. Indeed, the plane I took was half the size of the ones of Air France. In any case, when I got inside everything was fine. The sit was average, just like when flying economy with any other company. I had my own screen to watch movies, read and play games. Food came every now and then and it was quite good (you know, rice with chicken or beef, some greens, a bun of bread, etc.), drinks were also offered (coffee, tea, milk, fizzy drinks, OG, don't remember if they had wine or beer; they probably did). The crew was also nice. Perhaps not the best at speaking English. But who is it anyways? The crew did their job professionally, I had no problems at all, and the plane got me to my destination in time.

As I said, I am flying with them again. And this time I am much more relaxed.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
149 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: China Southern Airlines

I don't know if other reviewers are flying their business, but I'm not impressed with their economy.

First, I like using web check in. Their web site kept giving me error message. I flew from Vancouver via Guangzhou, to Hanoi. I had to line up for more than half an hour to check in, and all aisle seats were gone by the time I checked in.

Because it took so long to check in, I didn't have much time to eat and drink before boarding. It's a big Boeing 777, so the bording starts very early, and I didn't want to take any chances.

The plane was dated, I see stains where people touch. The wall next to my seat, it was freezing cold. Their free blanket didn't help much.

The inflight magazine had only Chinese. It didn't have a list of drinks they offer. No menu for meal was given. When they come around, they only give me names of meats, had no idea what kind of food I get until I opened it.

The first drink and meal didn't start until 1.5-2h from take off. Next one is only 3-4 hours after that. Now YVR to CAN takes 14 hours. Weird, isn't it? I wasn't hungry when 2nd meal was served, but I was hungry at the end of flight. It was good they had sandwiches and instant noodles in the galley, but beers were gone before 2nd meal.

The meals I got happened to be both Western style. Drinks aren't cold. I later find out that that's how budget places in Vietnam serve, maybe it's same in China. Coffee was instant, lots of sugar and whitener already added. You won't be happy unless you usually take it 'double double'. During first meal wines were served. No imported beers.

One of the biggest culture shock was that they leave seatbelt signs on during ENTIRE flight. I thought first pilot was forgetful, but it was same on 2nd leg.

Entertainment is outdated: they play videos in several channels, no video-on-demand. No radio nor flight map. I've flown Asiana, China Airlines and Air Canada for trans pacific last a few years, they all had VOD with dozens of movies. BYOEntertaiment.

Once in Guangzhou, both 1st and 2nd leg didn't use sky bridges, but we were bussed. Luckily it wasn't raining, but busses were packed like during rush hour, and it took almost half an hour each journey.

Guangzhou airport is way below average: full of expensive food, smokes leaking from smoking section, and no free wifi.

My 2nd leg from Guangzhou to Hanoi was ok. Good point was that despite it's only 2 hours, we got a full meal and free beers. No entertainment.

Yes, China Southern did a job transporting me and my bags from point A to B, but I won't be flying with them again, unless they're a lot cheaper than others.