We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

72-hour visa free transit also in Guangzhou

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,861 posts
826 reviews
Save Topic
72-hour visa free transit also in Guangzhou

Following the lead of Shanghai and Beijing, Guangzhou will also have the 72-hour visa free transit effective sometimes later this year if all goes well.

chinadaily.com.cn/china/…content_16387935.htm

1. Re: 72-hour visa free transit also in Guangzhou

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 May 2013, 21:05
Edited: 27 May 2013, 21:05
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,642 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 72-hour visa free transit also in Guangzhou

The result of the first month of 72 hours visa free came in. Only 97 travelers used it in August 2013, average less than 4 a day, mostly from Australia, France and Canada, developed countries.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,861 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 72-hour visa free transit also in Guangzhou

Not so many airlines are transiting in Guangzhou. Also, in my opinion, one does not need 3 days to visit Guangzhou. It can be done under the 24-hour exemption.

It may eventually catch on with business travelers who have some meetings in Guangzhou and do not need to stay longer than 3 days. Unlike the rules for Beijing and Shanghai, when transiting in Guangzhou you can leave the city and go anywhere in the province.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,642 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 72-hour visa free transit also in Guangzhou

It takes time, months and years, but they always eventually succeed. Guangzhou visitors are not the same as elsewhere, despite being the oldest city (over 2,200 years old) among top 3 BeiShaGuang cties, it is not a tourist destination, they have some marketing to do. If there is any tourism shortcomings, the same can be said about most cities, it is all about packaging and marketing.

For most business visitors, 3 days is not enough, Guangzhou is just one of many cities business travelers NEED to go, unlike tourists, business travel is calculated by dollars and cents, is it worth it for me to spend X thousands to make this trip and how much money am I going to make out of this trip? 3 days is simply not enough for many serious professionals. Even for those who can do it within 3 days, many already have their annual visa.

I think bulk of the Guangzhou tourists maybe ancestual tourists, as Guangzhou is the origin gateway for tens or 100 million overseas Chinese, their ancestors at some point came out thru Guangzhou, they travel THRU Guangzhou to their roots which is almost always outside of GZ, 3 days is not enough. In that sense, Guangzhou may have far greater potential, compared to Shanghai, mass majority of these overseas Chinese share no link with Shanghai. That potential customer base within 4-6 hours range is huge, and it is the cheapest of the 3.

5. Re: 72-hour visa free transit also in Guangzhou

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 September 2013, 02:11
Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,250 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 72-hour visa free transit also in Guangzhou

What is 3-day visa free thing supposed to promote? It is an interesting point about ancestual tourists. But if I were to pay a pilgrimage to my ancestors in Guangzhou or nearby villages from thousands of miles away, it is very unlikely I will rush everything to within 3 days.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 72-hour visa free transit also in Guangzhou

What is 3-day visa free thing supposed to promote?

for me it is to break up 17 ? hours on a plane from australia to canada...9 hrs....3 day break...then another 8 hours...perfect

Brisbane
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 72-hour visa free transit also in Guangzhou

Having just transited Guangzhou, here is my experience. My next outbound flight out of GZ was 28 hours after my inbound flight. Therefore, based on advice in this forum, I requested the 72 hour visa free policy, both at my origin airport (Heathrow), and subsequently on arrival at Guangzhou Baiyun.

However, I was advised that I was eligible for the 24-hour visa because the clock only starts at midnight on the night of my arriving flight. Therefore a 72 hour visa was unnecessary.

I only found this out, after partly experiencing the pain of getting a 72 hour visa. After about an hour of being sent from queue to queue, I eventually got a guy that could explain that I didn't need a 72 hour exemption because of the midnight rule. By this point, of course, my bag had been picked up off the carousel and it was about to be sent away as lost property.

I met another couple in the queue that were having an equally painful time getting the 72 hour visa. They simply didn't have a process for this. I get the impression that they have maybe 10-20 per day applying for the 72 hour visa free and haven't yet designed a process for managing it.

The quick way to get the 24 hour visa is:

1. Go to the transfer queue on arrival (not border control)

2. Get your next boarding pass from the transfer queue

3. Do not pass through the transfer gate - turn back and go to border control

4. Join the 'special' border control queues (numbers 19 and 20)

5. Apply for a 24 hour visa at border control, with your boarding pass as evidence - this only takes a few minutes

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,861 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 72-hour visa free transit also in Guangzhou

Thanks for the feedback.

It is actually not a visa but an exemption from getting a visa. This midnight rule is unique to Guangzhou. They calculate the 72 hours in the same way, giving you possibly more than 72 hours.

I have not been there since the new rule was introduced but in Beijing and Shanghai they have a special line for this with very clear signage.

10. Re: 72-hour visa free transit also in Guangzhou

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 September 2014, 07:19