We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where do the locals buy woman's clothing

Which Guangzhou hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
381 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
where do the locals buy woman's clothing

Hi,

I was wondering where the locals go to buy their clothes. I am not interested in designer clothing or brand names which I can buy at home. Does anyone know where on Tiyu Xilu that I can buy local clothes. Would be very helpful if you can tell me which exit to take when I exit the metro station.

Thank you.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
30,938 posts
307 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where do the locals buy woman's clothing

There is a huge shopping mall, Teem Mall, directly above Tiyu Xilu station. Zara is just one store there. Very cheap clothes at Aeon ( used to be JusCo, for those who know the Chinese chain stores).

More cheap options including Uniglo & all the sports brands at GZ East Station,

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where do the locals buy woman's clothing

As a local I go to train station. clothes in mall usually are quite expensive. There are a lot of clothes shop/wholesale shop. The shopping environment is not that good but cheap and you can find something special sometimes. Many little brands or so-called "Korean style" clothes. Metro to train station

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,810 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where do the locals buy woman's clothing

Some locals go to HK to buy designer clothes. Some even go to Paris for the latest fashion. Others buy them from malls or street shops. As a woman from North America I am not sure you'd buy local woman's clothing. It's not really the kind of clothes you'd wear in Vancouver. Also they may not have your size. Chinese sizes are different from Canadian sizes. A medium in China, for example, is not the same as a medium in Vancouver.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,116 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where do the locals buy woman's clothing

To a man, the most annoying thing about shopping in China or anywhere in the world, is that 90% of shops are cloth shops. This is true in Guangzhou. Your question will be answered within 10 second once you stand on any Chinese shopping street or mall, all cloth, mostly women cloth, you'll realize what a silly question it is.

Despite of the news headlines, mass majority (99.99%) of women do not buy designer cloth.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,116 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where do the locals buy woman's clothing

+-9, up down 9 street, or Shangxiajiu pedestrian street has many women fashion shops, hundreds of them if not 1,000 shops. Next to the center plaza, one building has multi stories of small shops, most as small as 5' wide 3' deep, very trendy or bling bling jeans so small I cannot even fit my arm in the leg. A lot of Korean fashion, fashion accessories, basement and up. That is a bldg. I avoid at all cost, too many women, all talking at the same time. Many more small malls and alleys full of these tiny cloth shops on this street. Also shops selling closeouts, 10 yuan T-shirt, 20 yuan shorts, 30 yuan long pants, 100 yuan for man's dress shirt, 10 yuan belt or fanny pack, 200 yuan suit, 150 yuan for 4-wheels 26" suitcase. You should go to this street before other Guangzhou shopping areas, because the prices here are too cheap, if you love bargains, you go crazy here. You can still go to the other places later, but take a look here first. Most of the other places mentioned above are far more expensive and boring. Many restaurants, movie theaters, ice shops, alteration, shoe repair, bakeries, dim sum, food stalls, wedding kiosks, just goes on and on all directions. Holiday Inn Shifu is on this street.

Edited: 16 July 2013, 08:32
Guangzhou
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
480 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: where do the locals buy woman's clothing

but the quality of cheap cloth (10 yuan T-shirt, 20 yuan shorts, 30 yuan long pants,) is so so .

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,116 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where do the locals buy woman's clothing

100 yuan dress on the right woman looks a million bucks.

I bought 2 pairs of cargo pants in a shop that sells "Big Fat Guy Pants" Da Tze Fei Lau Kou, 100 yuan, then I took them to a tiny alteration shop in an alley next to Holiday Inn, had them "improved" for 15 yaun, I wear them often, plus a factory closeout real REI safari shirt for 20 yuan, these are my hot weather gears when traveling in China. Occasionally I put on the 7 yuan fanny pack I bought on this street. All together they cost less than one day breakfast buffet at Holiday Inn. You end up with junk, but not always, that is the ultimate fun of shopping. I have many real Armani suits, but I like the 250 yuan fake Armani suit more than any of the real ones. I like shopping on up down 9 street, there is no risk.

Vancouver, British...
Level Contributor
381 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where do the locals buy woman's clothing

Hi,

I went there on Sunday and it was a zoo. People everywhere and lots of pushing and shoving. It was an eye opener. Got a few bargains from Yishion as that store was not as crowded as others offering huge discounts. Clothing I bought is also to be worn when visiting China. Would have been more enjoyable if I visited there in the fall when it is not as hot and humid.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,116 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: where do the locals buy woman's clothing

The street behind Garden Hotel has many factory outlet/closeout shops, as well as some stylish higher quality boutiques, an elegant bookstore. I am not sure about the origins of the famous Western designer brands, some of them are so high quality and packaged so well, even when I studied the labels and tags, being in the production business for decades, those tags and labels are very expensive and difficult to make. But since an Armani shirt sells for 100 yuan ($16), they must be fake.

But for bulk of the counterfeit bags and clothing, they are mostly sold in Beijing Road alley malls, with usual hard bargaining needed. Shanxiajiu does not sell counterfeits and no bargaining.

One needs to be careful with those supposedly higher quality expensive Chinese clothing stores in malls or Beijing road, 1st their styles are very Chinese western, you wear them, you look like a Chinese tourist, or "Chinatown" look, something someone from the village on his first trip to a big Chinese city would wear when he or she step off the bus from the countryside. Whether high prices mean high quality is for each buyer to decide.

2ndly, this is something you will know only if you are from outside and bilingual, most or all these Chinese clothing stores have Chinese names look and sound like they were translated from English or Italian, to give them a foreign flair, a quick comparison to the English names reveal their true identities, home grown home market clothing stores. Since their customers have never traveled outside China and cannot read English, this tactic is very effective. When shopping with local suppliers, all them always thought these are official branches of authentic foreign brands. These are not fake brands, just made up foreign sounding names.

10. Re: where do the locals buy woman's clothing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 July 2014, 06:19