We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

guangzhou advice

Which Guangzhou hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
4 posts
Save Topic
guangzhou advice

We will be travelling to Guangzhou in Feb-March.

We would like to stay in a central location that has easy/close access to trains, shopping malls and markets and restaurants.

We also would like to go to the wholesale markets.

I also have family I would like to visit( I cannot speak Chinese and have never met them) in Zeng Cheng County Xin Tang Village.

please advise best hotel locations . Also best directions to get to my families village.

Where is best to find a interpreter?

Thank you

Guangzhou
Level Contributor
434 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: guangzhou advice

Any place along the metro lines can get you to markets, malls, trains, etc. Location kind of depends on your budget and desires. I think Tian He, close to the East Train Station is a city center, modern, with many malls. A couple of subway lines go there. Hotel depends on your budget. Look through the TA hotels for GZ to see sort of what's out there and then choose based on reviews and your budget.

Which wholesale markets would you like to visit? Will be possible to direct you better if we have more of an idea.

I'm sorry but I know nothing of Zeng Cheng County Xin Tang Village or interpreters.

4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: guangzhou advice

That's a great start thank you.

I am looking a the fabric, shoe and jade wholesale markets in particular, based on my research the are in Liwan District. I am assuming that Guangzhou is a huge place so don't want to be stuck travelling most of the day to get to and from these market places.

Budget wise, we are look at around hkd300-700 per night.

Thank you

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,714 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: guangzhou advice

That is somewhat close to Shangxiaju pedestrian shopping street, Holiday Inn Shifu is on this very busy street. Or you can look at GZ Service Apartments in the Top Questions on top right corner of this page. The one on Beijing Road is on a very vusy shopping street, fairly close by taxi to your markets, 10-20 yuan ($1.50-$3) taxis, 10 minutes. These 2 are older shopping areas, wholesale markets are in older parts of the city.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
16,144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: guangzhou advice

RE: Interpretor - maybe you can work with the hotel concierge and see if they can line up someone to serve you. Tour guides typically can serve as interpretor/translator too. You just need to pay one day of his/her time.

RE: Zeng Cheng County Xin Tang Village

Do you have the village's name in Chinese? Not in pingyin. There may be different Chinese words. If you can get the actual Chinese characters, it is safer. Baidu map is more accurate for China than Google map.

From Google map, it looks like there are places with similar names (not entirely sure if it is your home village) to the east side of Guangzhou.

Maybe on the day of your home village visit, get with the interpretor, charter a taxi to drive you around all day, go together. (How are your family members supposed to meet you?)

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,278 posts
523 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: guangzhou advice

>>"I also have family I would like to visit( I cannot speak Chinese and have never met them) in Zeng Cheng County Xin Tang Village."

You need to get their mobile phone number. It is 100% essential. Since your trip is not until next year, there is plenty of time for that.

Guangzhou
Level Contributor
434 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: guangzhou advice

Hmm, as far as I know, there are two main fabric markets- one near ZhongDa University and another near the Haiyin Bridge. I know of two shoe markets- one near HaiZhu Square and the other out toward PanYu. The only jade market I know of is near the Shangxiaju pedestrian shopping street. I think the best way is to stay near either HaiZhu Square or Shangxiaju pedestrian shopping street. Then you can take cabs to the other places. Even though GZ is a large city, public transportation is very good and it won't take you all day to get from one place to the other by car.

A word about the wholesale markets- at most of them you should negotiate. Especially if the shopkeepers perceive you are a foreigner, they will often ask two or more times the real price.

Have fun planning your trip!

Cebu City...
Level Contributor
65 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: guangzhou advice

Hi there. Are stores in Guangzhou or particularly the Lecong furniture stores open on Sundays?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,714 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: guangzhou advice

The 10 miles long Lecong Furniture Market is located in Lecong Town, Shunde District, Foshan City, Guangdong, China. With total area of 3 million square meters, it is the biggest furniture market in the world with over 3,450 furniture businesses from both China and abroad.

Open Hours: 08:30-17:3

Lecong Furniture Exhibition Center covers area of 120,000 square meters, making it the biggest one in world at present. The center has held the china (Lecong ) International furniture fair 6 times successfully since the year 2000. Currently the center has collected more than 400 brand furniture, just to name a few: Kinwai(American), LianBang, KINETIC, Jinyibao. Life master and so on.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g494927-c196672/Fosha…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298555-i3651-k434…

This one has list of some marts, with phones and websites, no info on Sunday, best to email or call to check. Most GZ wholesale markets are open on Sunday. www.excelguangzhou.com/lecong-furniture.html

Guangzhou City
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: guangzhou advice

In this forum, you will find many translator/interprer.

For fabric, the second floor give you good advice.

Welcome to Guangzhou.

Please don't not come during Jan. 28th,2014-----Feb. 15th,2014, It is chinese spring festival holidays.

4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: guangzhou advice

I do have it in chinese characters....