We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guangzhou for 4 nights- First Time there (Any ideas)

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
52 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Guangzhou for 4 nights- First Time there (Any ideas)

I am staying at Guangzhou for 4 nights in December. We do not have plans to go to Shenzhen or Hong Kong since we were there for the past 2 years. Wife loves to shop and eat, can someone provide recommendation for walking streets, second hand knockoff markets, affordable massage spas (where we both can go to), shows, circus, zoos, or any other tourist attraction. We both speak fluent Cantonese and know a little bit of Mandarin. Our hotel is at the Westin Guangzhou. Thank you for your help!

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
470 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guangzhou for 4 nights- First Time there (Any ideas)

Take a look at www.travelchinaguide.com

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guangzhou for 4 nights- First Time there (Any ideas)

Welcome to Guangzhou.

Guangzhou has very convenient transportation and you speak the language, no need to have tour. You can still look up some tours and see what typical tourist route is like.

wikitravel has very good list for tourists, including which metro station to get off. http://wikitravel.org/en/Guangzhou

For food check openrice guangzhou or something similar.

For circus check Chimelong circus. Chimelong also has a big zoo, and there's another smaller zoo in downtown.

There are several theaters in the city and have various shows. But now I am not sure there's still tickets available for good ones in Dec.

Bon voyage.

Everett, Washington
Level Contributor
52 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guangzhou for 4 nights- First Time there (Any ideas)

Thanks! can I do Chimelong Safari Zoo in the morning then go to the Circus at night. Where can i purchase tickets, at a good price? Also, how do they assign seating for the circus? my wife would like to be close to the action.

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guangzhou for 4 nights- First Time there (Any ideas)

Yes I think that's what many do, day in Chimelong zoo and night for the circus. Not 100% sure but think you get a discount if you buy a set ticket (zoo+circus)

I have never been to the circus and don't know. For the zoo I recalled we went and bought the tickets there.

Perth, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Guangzhou for 4 nights- First Time there (Any ideas)

There is a really small youth hotel in Dongshan. Dongshan is one of the oldest districts in GZ but now it is part of Yuexiu district now. There are three schools around it in traditional Chinese style. They are all the toppest primary and high schools in GZ.

Quite convenient place where you can take underground in Dongshankou stn(line 1). Only 3 stn from Beijing Rd. takes about 15 mins by underground.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
33,612 posts
331 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guangzhou for 4 nights- First Time there (Any ideas)

Highly recommend both the Chimelong Safari Park & the nearby circus - absolutely top class. There is a free shuttle bus from Guangzhou South Station. Sorry I don't know how you get discounts, other than by buying a package - try their website.

My top spots include Shamian Island - esp early when the locals are doing their morning exercises; followed by the nearby Qingping TCM market; Tomb of the Nan Yue Emperor & Chen Family Academy - all close by on the same Metro line.

Edited: 07 December 2013, 03:49
7. Re: Guangzhou for 4 nights- First Time there (Any ideas)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2014, 05:19