We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first timer queries

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
first timer queries

Hi all, in going to canton and Guangzhou I have few queries which I want answered Please:

1. I read that if I buy a ticket from gz to HK I will have to reach gz station two hours in advance. Is it true?

2. Some other thread here said even if I but online I'd have to still buy another ticket over the counter and get a refund of the phone ticket in HK... if this'd is true what's the point of the whole exercise?

3. What time are markets and malls open till? I have spare time only after im done in the evenings with Canton Fair.

4. More queries as and when I think about them.

Thanks for now.

Mihir

Mentioned in this post
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first timer queries

wholesale markets close by 6 pm. malls close around 9-10 pm.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,390 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first timer queries

Restaurants, shops and public places close down about 9PM, gets quiet by 10PM, dark and empty by 11PM. Restaurants along Pearl river open later.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
18,993 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first timer queries

>> 2. Some other thread here said even if I but online I'd have to still buy another ticket over the counter and get a refund of the phone ticket in HK... if this'd is true what's the point of the whole exercise? <<

I don't have personal experience but this was what other travellers who had gone through it reported as such. Basically "buying" your train ticket on-line is more like making a reservation. On the Guangzhou side you still need to pay, in RMB currency, to get your actual ticket and then you collect your fare as a refund once you reach Hung Hom (Hong Kong side). My speculation is that though the Through Train is run as a cooperation between the China side and the Hong Kong side, they don't share the same ticking system (computer, software, network, etc.). Thus this added funky procedure.

Mentioned in this post
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
Hung Hom
Hung Hom
104 Reviews
Hong Kong, China
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: first timer queries

Thanks All!

5. Re: first timer queries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2015, 05:17