We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transit in Guangzhou, do we need Chinese money?

London, United...
Level Contributor
492 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Transit in Guangzhou, do we need Chinese money?

We are flying from London to Melbourne in a few weeks and have five hours in Guangzhou on the outward and return journeys. Do we need to get RMB or is British or Australian money accepted. I have looked online but have been getting conflicting answers.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,664 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Transit in Guangzhou, do we need Chinese money?

Where you really lost money was at the time of exchange in Australia. I have never seen exchange rates as poor as there in my travels. Worst is the Sydney airport where you get RMBs at half the usual rate.

Then how do you know that the issue was that they were fake? You mandarin is good? Maybe they did not want such a large bill just for a drink.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,006 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Transit in Guangzhou, do we need Chinese money?

No one ever refused 100RMB from me regardless of how small the purchases maybe. 100RMB is really the most common Chinese currency, not really a large bill by any measure.

There are timid people, there are seasoned travelers and professionals, languages is not a big issue if you have the right attitude and know how to handle yourself or issues. Last Canton Fair session just ended had 183,000+ foreign buyers, how many of them speak Chinese? my guess extremely few. On all foreign trips in any countries, except business communications, I can count the strangers I talked to on one hand on each trip, and often less than 5 words, including ordering meals on flights.

We have a buyer who goes to China 5 times a year, 6.5' and not a word of Chinese, he gets better prices and sources than those who do. Language and skin color can be the least important factors if you do it right. The fact one does not speak Chinese can often be a business advantage, you change the playing field to your advantage, your counterpart must translate everything in their brains, before, after and during.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,664 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Transit in Guangzhou, do we need Chinese money?

Taxis refusing 100RMB bills happens all the time, simply because they don't have change.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
32,927 posts
332 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Transit in Guangzhou, do we need Chinese money?

Not likely for an airport to city ride - where the OP noted the fare was 80 (it is usually around 100 when I go from CAN to Tianhe area).

There is supposed to be a famous taxi driver "sleight of hand" where you hand over a perfectly good 100 & they swap it for a dodgy one "up-the-sleeve". In 9 years I never struck a dodgy note and nearly every store checked them by machine.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,664 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Transit in Guangzhou, do we need Chinese money?

Agree about the airport ride but Mac was referring to never being refused a 100RMB bill for small purchases. Try paying an 8RMB taxi ride with a 100RMB, the driver won't be happy and may give it back to you.

Edited: 16 May 2014, 09:53
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,006 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Transit in Guangzhou, do we need Chinese money?

I have to admit I don't remember if I ever paid 8 yuan ride or purchases with 100. I guess it is something so trivia, I do not recall, or I simply don't do that. Same as I make sure I have small bills with me for small purchases or for valet parking tips back home. I do find small Chinese bills annoying or dirty, I occasionally tell them to keep the small changes.

In general, I found almost all merchants to be very friendly and accomendating, I am often impressed how smart and flexible the shopgirls are.

17. Re: Transit in Guangzhou, do we need Chinese money?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 May 2015, 05:15