We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel on Shamian Island

Asia
Level Contributor
69 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel on Shamian Island

I would like to stay on Shamian Island for my upcoming trip in Mid May (after the canton fair craze is over). Please help me with the following queries

1. Hotel Stay: I am on a budget and would like advice on any cheap hotels on Shamian Island (currently i have found Customs Hotel and Guangdong Overseas hotel for which i cant seem to find any reviews on this site. I also see availability on the east bldg of the Victory hotel). Please give suggestions on how these hotels are and any other suggestions.

2. Distance to Metro - Are these hotels walkable to the nearest metro station (Is it the Wenhua Park of the Huangsha which is closest).

3. Will the hotel rates drop post the canton fair or do you think the reduction would already be reflected in the current rates.

Many Thanks in advance.

Edited: 02 May 2014, 07:54
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,540 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel on Shamian Island

"Cheap" is a moving target, not useful unless you state a clear amount range. I've suggested cheap $40 hotel, but found out they wanted $10 hotel. Victory Hotel is a nice hotel with Western standards and many Western customers, East wing is old, West wing is remodeled newer and bigger room. They are not connected, takes 5 minutes to walk on street. Executive with balcony is the best, that was about $65, which is cheap to me, but who knows what that means to you.

Should be about $120-$200 during Canton Fair at Victory, depending on how busy the Fair is, when Fair is not busy, hotels drop their prices online, in some cases changing daily. Each Fair session is 5 days, 3 sessions, in-between breaks for 5 days to breakdown and setup, hotel rates drop during those 5 days, go back up when Fair restarts. Hotels are smart, all depend on the people flow.

I once had a suite dropped US$300 after I checked in (during Canton Fair), I found out when I checked online after checked into the room. I contacted Agoda by email immediately, Agoda refunded me US$300. Even during Fair, hotel was not busy, so hotel made the decision to drop prices by 50%. If your booking does not have price guarantee, then you don't get a penny back.

Asia
Level Contributor
69 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel on Shamian Island

many thanks macbcmini. I am looking for hotels in the range of $50-60 per night for a double.

Would you be aware of the distance to the nearest metro ?

Thanks.

Elk Grove...
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong
Level Contributor
17,995 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel on Shamian Island

You may be closer to Wenhua Park or Huangsha - depending on whether you are staying on the east end of the island (Wenhua Park closer), or the west end of the island (Huangsha closer). Walking takes about 15 minutes? The major challenge is to cross the Inner Ring Road. :)

Take a look at the map.

http://goo.gl/oNdR16

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,540 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel on Shamian Island

Use footbridge to cross wide expressway. Victory should be in your $ range, $65 I paid was for the best room, West wing executive with balcony. All within reasonable walking distance, 10 minutes very interesting walk to Shangxiaju shopping street. Victory has 2 daily shuttle bus to key points, such as Beijing road, sort of hop on and hop off, we did, we saw something interesting, we got off.

They said subway is near, but I do not use it.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,540 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel on Shamian Island

Victory is an interesting hotel at a beautiful location. It is well known as the gathering spot for foreign parents adopting Chinese children, there are many of them in the lobby, joyful sights, brought tears to our eyes to see these happy new parents with lucky babies and very young girls, all their lives are changed forever. Quiet island but hugging the "mainland", only 100 feet away with short bridges, not the "island" one has in mind, yet completely different (quiet with few people) than the "mainland" 100 feet away. Worthwhile experience, mostly very old Bund Western style colonial buildings. You can walk the entire "island" in an hour or 2. Not easy to find a taxi.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,811 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel on Shamian Island

Quoting prices in "$" is not helpful when the OP comes from "Asia" - Singapore Dollars or HK $??

I find the Victory expensive unless I can get a good deal in the West wing with brwakfast & afternoon tea included. OTOH the Shamian Hotel is very cheap, although I once had a room there with no windows.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,540 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel on Shamian Island

I once sat on the big balcony of 100+ years old colonial Victory west wing and watched the monsoon rain and thunderstorm coming down on Guangzhou, they went on for hours, I just sat there with a cup of coffee and watched, that was a memorable experience. I wondered who was sitting on that balcony watching the rain 100 years ago.

Not a great hotel, a good hotel, but a certainly a joyful experience for $65, a bargain by my standard. Here in the U.S. even motels are $120-$150.

English and US$ are universal, US$ is one standard everyone can somehow manage, not as easy with yen, yuan, won, peso, euro... An easy standard for all from all corners.

8. Re: Hotel on Shamian Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2015, 05:17