We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Apartment Rental

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
173 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Apartment Rental

Hi, My husband will be working near Sun Yat Sen University July until December. Can you recommend a 2 bedroom apartment with western standards nearby? How much is the price range?

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Apartment Rental

a 2 bedroom apartment ranges from about 2500 RMB/month - 6000 RMB/month. Without furniture can be cheaper.

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Apartment Rental

Are you sure that's the price range? Seems pretty low to me.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Apartment Rental

He did looked at something for 3500 and he said it was a dump.

Is there a website or sites that we can look or ask?

We are looking for a furnished 2 bedroom apartment near the Sun Yat Sen University from July to December. ~ willing to walk 20-30 minutes if there is a good deal in price or a view of Pearl River. Also willing to pay more.

Edited: 09 June 2014, 05:04
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
19,926 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Apartment Rental

I am thinking more like USD $1,000 and up. Most expats I know hire rental agents to do the leg work.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
27 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Apartment Rental

Hi,

I think you're better off just staying in Tianhe District or Zhu Jiang New Town. In all likelihood, what you'd see in the Sun Yat Sen area are Chinese inspired places.

My suggestion, get a Chinese translator to help you with looking for an apartment on the web. I can't recall the website but there's a popular Chinese website with a lot of real estate listings around GZ.

I go to Sun Yat Sen a lot and I stay at Ascott Hotel in Tienhe. Maybe you can ask the translator to look for listings on the building beside Ascott. They share the same amenities which is quite nice. Taking the train from Shipaiquio (via Tai Koo Mall) to Sun Yat Sen is about 15 minutes only

I hope this helps! :)

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,816 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Apartment Rental

The website I checked are in Chinese. Not sure for expats. Guess you need to pay more to hire an English-speaking agent.

All the foreign students in Sun Yat-sen U I know live in those apartments right next to the south entrance. Never hear anyone complains. But since you are not students and willing to pay more, apartments in Tianhe are newer in general and more likely to find a landlord with English info. Have to warn you the metro can be VERY crowded.

Edited: 09 June 2014, 14:55
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Apartment Rental

Is Tianhe or Zhu Jiang New Town walking distance to the university? What's the distance?

Edited: 09 June 2014, 16:19
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
12,010 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Apartment Rental

Your husband is or was and will be there, don't you think it is only logical and practical for him to make those decisions on his own? Condition, location, price and transportation must be seen in person, as all real estate decisions. Our children made those decisions without us.

There are many company or university network of like-minded people to help, plus service providers, free or for a fee, you don't need to remote control it, he can manage it as everyone can. Make friends and ask.

6 months is short, unless he is a top executive, why not live simple and pay local cost? Why does he need any fancy 2 bedrooms high rise expensive apt? Academic or tech people are not that demanding.

Or you can just fly over with him, hold his hands and take care of it for him. I doubt he needs that.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Apartment Rental

He is there right now and he is looking around with a friend.

I am looking for additional resources from TA to help him out. Isn't this what the forum is set up to do? Obviously, the more ideas he gets, the faster he finds a place.

And yes, these kind of things need to be seen in person. That's why he is there right now. He will make the final decision but he needs to make sure I am fine with it. After all, I will be there with him.

We are not looking for a fancy place. We just want something clean, comfortable and convenient. I think we do need an air-conditioner (if you think that's being fancy). I understand that summer can be hot and muggy. Being able to sleep at night is very important to us.

If Tianhe or Zhu Jiang are fancy places, then I did not know. I only mentioned it because it was suggested from one of those who kindly replied to my inquiries.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Apartment Rental

We are looking for a 2 bedroom apartment since my sister-in-law and her husband are planning to visit us while we are there. Our 2 boys are also planning to join us towards the end of our stay there.