We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothing Wholesale..is there only Asian styles??

Mount Maunganui...
Level Contributor
245 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Clothing Wholesale..is there only Asian styles??

Hi everyone,

I have a retail boutique store and I want to try my luck sourcing products from China.

I am wondering where I can purchase already made western style clothing.. as you see on boohoo.com, showpo.com and peppermayo.com.au

Has anyone been to the wholesale markets in Guangzhou? Will I find fashion forward on trend Western garmemts here.... or just low quality `chinese` fashion.

Can anyone recommend where to go or is manufacturing the only way?

Im worried Ill fly all the way to China and not find any items I can sell.

Much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
The Kitchen Table (Guangzhou W Hotel)
££ - £££, European, Asian, International
Tiger Prawn (Huifudong Road)
££ - £££, Seafood, Asian, Vietnamese
Social&Co
££ - £££, Bar, New Zealand
San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,390 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Clothing Wholesale..is there only Asian styles??

Your eyes and your taste make your store, there is no substitute, it is not science nor logic, there is no standard. A good buyer can find treasure in a mountain of junk, he/she looks for that 0.001% among 1 million products. Another buyer can walk into the same building and found nothing, another one will end up of tons of junk, another one will find goods for the most expensive 5th Avenue store nobody know where they came from.

A good buyer can scan the entire showroom in 3 seconds to make an instant decision to walk pass it, or spot one item buried in the corner of a booth tuck away in the back row where few people go to, then only to find endless treasure behind that one item which eventually produce millions of dollars in sales in the coming years, one item we found we sold 100 million pieces in 10 years. It is simply unprofessional for a buyer not to walk through all the spaces.

A good buyer fear no language barrier, no heat, rain, dirt, mess or rudeness can stop him/her. A smart buyer in one place can turn into an idiot elsewhere and never even know it. Experienced buyer does not listen to anyone else, because he/she only trust his/her own judgment.

You will never know until you stand there and walk thru it, you could be any of the above. If you don't invest and explore, you are standing still, you are obligated to invest and explore, if not Guangzhou, would be somewhere else.

Mentioned in this post
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
27 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Clothing Wholesale..is there only Asian styles??

Hi there,

We were in Guangzhou recently and found it astonishing! The clothes at the markets (that most people talk about) are generally aimed at the Asian market and although some of the quality seemed fine, the sizes and styling was not to our (Western) taste. That said, items like jeans (branded) were in many styles and brands - literally 1000s of styles. Close to the underground mall we found two shopping malls, one male clothing and the other female, and you could order very high quality Western style jackets/coats/sportswear - whatever. But be warned: they have minimum order quantities (generally 1000), but the prices make up for it- Diesel jeans at RMB68, good quality jackets (think North face) for RMB 70. You cant buy just one or two items and sadly we were left wanting! Shenzhen was much easier to purchase, as we could purchase smaller amounts.

Be warned that the underground market is chaotic and shopping is not always very pleasurable...

Hope it helps!

Mentioned in this post
Guangzhou
Guangzhou
Guangdong, China
Shenzhen
Shenzhen
Guangdong, China
Laguna Beach...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Clothing Wholesale..is there only Asian styles??

theres a wholesaler I met that sells same stuff as the stores you mentioned. email them wholesale@cutieshey.com

4. Re: Clothing Wholesale..is there only Asian styles??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2015, 10:22