We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel during Canton Fair Oct 2014

Which Guangzhou hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
54 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel during Canton Fair Oct 2014

I will be visiting China for the Canton Fair in October 2014.

I am looking for a decent hotel, (4 star minimum) for 6 nights.

My main requirement is that the hotel should be clean and safe

and within a short metro ride to the Fair.

Since I will be out all day, all I need is a nice room to come

back to and get recgharged for my next day at the fair!

I do not need any fancy hotel facilities that I will not be around

in the day time to use. My budget is around USD100 per night.

I have been looking on Trip Advisor and the area around

Beijing Road Pedestrianised Street sound quite good

with lots of choice for food and shopping.

English speaking hotel staff and hotel to western standards would

be be a great advantage.

I would be grateful for any suggestions for a good neighbourhood

and hotel.

I am also open to stay in a serviced apartment.

Guangzhou, China
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel during Canton Fair Oct 2014

Beijing Rd to Pazhou Fair is>30 min, but if you are from London it should be fine.

http://english.ctrip.com/

Here under "District and area" you put "Beijing Road and Haizhu Square".

Tianhe is also a good area. Closer to Pazhou and a lot malls and restaurants. Search within "Tianhe Stadium and Guangzhou East Railway Station "

Edited: 18 August 2014, 00:17
Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18,821 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel during Canton Fair Oct 2014

You say you don't need a fancy place and yet you need 4 stars and above? A 4 stars and above hotel for USD $100 per night during trade fair, I wish you luck.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,124 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel during Canton Fair Oct 2014

Most GZ hotels have daily Fair shuttle buses to and from the Fair, subway is not that ideal for varies reasons.

If choose correctly, you can find hotels within your $100 budget which meet your descriptions, about 3 stars, which often can be far superior to 3 stars in UK.

You already have some good locations, use TA or any hotel booking sites online maps and filters to find hotels.

Read top questions on this webpage about Canton Fair.

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel during Canton Fair Oct 2014

Are there any specific areas within Guangzhou that I should narrow my search for a hotel to? Somewhere that is east to get to Canton Fair from and also near shopping malls and restaurants. I do not want to be too far out of town. The ability of reception staff to communiacte in english would be an adavantage. I do not want to be in a completely Chinese hotel where no body understands English. One contributor suggested looking at Tianhe area, near the East train station.

Any help would be appreciated.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,124 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel during Canton Fair Oct 2014

Zhujiang New Town is the closest area to the Fair, north of Fair ground across the river, it has what you want, mall etc. But far from traditional old Guangzhou, you already mentioned Beijing road, busy fun center but far from the Fair. The contradiction in your desire locations is because the Fair ground is built far away from the city, as in most cities.

Find the locations on online map, then click on hotel icons near the spots, use TA hotel search filter to find one within your budget.

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel during Canton Fair Oct 2014

Thank you for your practical suggestion on how to find the best area and hotel to

suit my purpose.

Out of interest, where do you normally stay when you visit the Canton Fair?

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,124 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel during Canton Fair Oct 2014

Often Garden Hotel, but that is $250-$500, depends. Best is Holiday Inn Shifu, that can be $125 to $250 during Fair, best super busy location with 10,000 shoppers in front, prices go up or down depending on booking condition. I have a reservation for 6 nights in Oct, $120 Club room with free breakfast which is huge.

Victory is good, 10 minutes away, quiet, $100+, must be west wing executive, can be as low as $65 if you are lucky. Pengman apartments on Beijing road is great, on top of a dept store with 3 levels of food court, I have a duplicate reservation there for 6 nights for $85 in Oct 2014, 2 floors of apt with living room, kitchen and washer/dryer and bedroom upstairs, in newest highrise, unlikely to get a room there now.

I have tried out few dozens Guangzhou hotels through the years, almost always during Fair. These are suites or deluxe larger rooms, if basic rooms should be even cheaper.

I have stayed at one was executive apartment suite in Bauhinia Hotel during Fair, only $65, also has daily Fair bus, mostly Eastern Europe buyers. Good 3 stars.

I don't stay near the Fair as you want, nothing there.

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel during Canton Fair Oct 2014

Thank you for a very prompt and helful answer which is much appreciated.

London
Level Contributor
54 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel during Canton Fair Oct 2014

I had a look at all your suggested hotles and have made a 6 night booking at Bauhinia Hotel. The rate of about USD100 including breakfast was within my budget and I am very grateful for your help.

I have a month during which I can cancel my reservation if required.

If your Pengman Apartment booking is being surrendered, please let me know and I may switch over to

the bigger size option at Pengman.

My email adddress is AShah91634@aol.com

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
11,124 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel during Canton Fair Oct 2014

Bauhinia is surrounded on all sides by wholesale markets, busy during the day, quiet during the night. ICBC bank downstairs for exchange, 7-11 around the corner. Free wifi. Fair shuttle bus is small and only one, takes 45 minutes, make sure you can get on. 10-11 yuan taxi to busy shopping areas. Last time was mostly Russian buyers. Great taxi spot in front. Check rate online after you checked in, last time price dropped 50% than my reservation, Agoda booking site refunded me $250 or $300 after I contacted it. Cheapest room is without window. Decent hotel, Hongkong chain, limited services, spartan breakfast but better than Europe. You'll do fine. Turn right, 2-3 minutes walk is a big gift houseware wholesale center, MOQ is a dozen.

I will cancel Pengman 27th floor apt next week, but it cannot be transferred. Has Fair shuttle. Only 1 year new, hard to get now. My $85 apt will go for $150+ now, I booked in March.