We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much does Li River Cruise cost?

Which Guilin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Little Rock...
Level Contributor
85 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
How much does Li River Cruise cost?

What's the going rate for the Li River cruise? What price do foreigners usually pay?

Canada
Level Contributor
4,635 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much does Li River Cruise cost?

Frommers 2008 guide lists prioes from Y460 to 480 or

$60 to 63 US.. Price apparently includes lunch. The guide says that " foreigners" must use these tourist boats It is a 83 km trip that takes between 4 and 5 hrs Bus transport back takes 1 hr.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
139 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much does Li River Cruise cost?

I would advise against eating the offered lunch.A friend of mine was on the cruise & saw the cooks washing the lettuce in the river.

China
Level Contributor
2 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much does Li River Cruise cost?

If you can travel with some people with Chinese ID cards, you can go on one of the "Chinese" boats. The boats are fine and the price is about half the price charged to foreigners.

Take care with lunch. On the Chinese boats, at least, lunch is included in your fare but the boat staff come round taking lunch orders. Don't fall for it because what they are taking are orders for additional lunch dishes which will be delivered at additional cost. Hence, if you think you are simply indicating a preference for the lunch included in your fare, you'll find that you have provided yourself with two lunches, one you've already paid for and the additional one. Half the people I saw on our boat fell into the trap.

The best advice is to avoid the Guilin to Yangshuo tourist boat trip altogether. This can be done easily enough.

It works this way. The government and the big boat operators seem to have done a deal. The small farmers' boats are prohibited from operating during the day; however, they can operate after 4.30 p.m.

So, take the local bus from Yangshuo to Xing Ping (I think I've recalled the name correctly) from the bus station and time your arrival there for about 4.30 (i.e. in summer anyway). You'll find a place on a small farmer's boat with no trouble. This will cost 50 yuan or thereabouts and you'll spend a couple of hours touring at little cost the most beautiful parts of the Li River. Your boat tour will end at dusk and you then get the local bus back to Yangshou.

Those big tourist boats are only for western tourists short of time and with bags of money. The trip is quite nice but maybe a bit long but you suffer highway robbery.

Far and away, your best deal is to take a farmer's boat later in the afternoon for 50 yuan and you'll be pleased indeed by your economy and the experience you have.

4. Re: How much does Li River Cruise cost?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2008, 12:29
5. Re: How much does Li River Cruise cost?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 15:20