We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guilin to Shenzhen or Hong Kong

Walnut Creek...
Level Contributor
526 posts
328 reviews
Save Topic
Guilin to Shenzhen or Hong Kong

We're in the early planning stages of a trip to China in late May. I think the plan is to land in Peking, then take an overnight train and catch the Expo in Shanghai, then 2 days & 3 nights in Guilin (fly on China Southern, presumably), then leave from Hong Kong. I've noticed that the plane fare are much cheaper to Shenzhen than to Hong Kong. The coach fare from Guilin to Shenzhen was $107, the first class fare (China Southern) was $155, and the coach fare to Hong Kong was $289. Do most people flying from Guilin to Hong Kong go through Shenzhen? What's the difference between first class and coach? Is Shenzhen worth a stop? In looking at the Chinese Consulate here in SF, it looks as though multiple-entry visas are the same price as single-entry visas, so I guess all Americans get multiple-entry visas to China?

hong kong
Level Contributor
8,880 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guilin to Shenzhen or Hong Kong

It's cheaper to fly to Shenzhen as it is an internal flight, while flying to Hong Kong is an international flight. It is easy to get from Shenzhen airport to Hong Kong downtown; there are direct buses every 30 minutes which take 90 minutes. First class on Chinese airlines flying internally are just bigger seats at the front of the plane.

Shenzhen is good for cheap shopping and massages.

If booking internally, I'd look on sites such as travelzen.com and elong.net and ctrip.com. Often fares are discounted.

US passport holders pay the same for a single entry or for a one year multi entry visa.

2. Re: Guilin to Shenzhen or Hong Kong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2010, 05:20