We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Li River Cruise and Lulong Bamboo Raft: Both?

Los Angeles, CA
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Li River Cruise and Lulong Bamboo Raft: Both?

Li River Cruise and Yulong Bamboo Raft trip:

My wife and I will be staying in Guilin the evening of Jun 22 to morning of June 25 so will have two full days. The Li river cruise sounds like a beautiful relaxing trip but we would also like something more personal/natural. Should we do both or one, and is it possible to do both in a day or do we need to return to Yangshou the second day for the Yulong river raft? Also, is public transportation available or will we need a driver and car? (approximate cost?) Any information or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited: 08 May 2010, 04:30
Melbourne
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Li River Cruise and Lulong Bamboo Raft: Both?

Hi

my sister and i have just come back from China and it was amazing.

we had hired a private guide called Amy who looked after us for the 3 days we were in Yangshuo and she was worth every cent ( a whole 100 y per day plus drivers etc). On day 2 she picked us up ( driver cost 270y for the day) and we started at the Li river on the motorized raft. (220y for us both- an extra 20y as it was a public holiday surcharge). Approx 2 hours cruising down the Li River with the amazing karst mountains all around us. Its about an hours drive from Yangshuo town. Amy was with us for this part.

Then a quick stop off to see moon hill ( way to many tourists-chinese as it was a holiday so we didnt stay) and headed off to the Yulong River and about a 1.5 hour raft trip on the bamboo raft which holds only 2 ppl plus the driver( who uses a pole to direct you down the river). many small drops in the river so all you need to do is lift up your feet when he yells " hello" - haha so you know what to do. What was hysterical here was that after each drop in the centre of the river was a raft with a photographer, a computer, printer and laminator so you could get your photo taken.. I got one just for fun and it was about 33y i think. They also sell beer and water and food etc and we brought our driver a beer.

Forgot to write down how much that cost but it wasn't very much.

Amy then got us back to our resort where we had time to relax before going to the Lightshow that evening.

it was great doing both on the same day giving us time to see and do many other things.

Wish i was back there and i hope you have a fantastic time

Laurel

Yangshuo
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Li River Cruise and Lulong Bamboo Raft: Both?

Hi,You may do the Li river cruise and Yulong river bamboo rafting in a day.

On June 23rd,Li river cruise from Guilin to Yangshuo,you will arrive at Yangshuo around 14:00p.m,Then you may take a taxi to Chaoyang wharf at Yulong river,Then take the Yulong river bamboo rafting from Chaoyang wharf to Gonglong bridge,The rafting trip will takes 1.5 hours,then take the public bus/Taxi back to Yangshuo town.At last,Take the bus back to Guilin from Yangshuo.Most of travellers are also interesting in the great light show of Yangshuo,If you like,You may also have a look.

To be quite frank,Most of travellers like Yangshuo more than Guilin,Because Yangshuo could be more relaxed and interesting.If you haven't booked your hotel in Guilin,I suggest your new itinerary could be like this;

June 22th: arrive in Guilin,stay overnight at Guilin

June 23th:Li river cruise from Guilin to Yangshuo,relax in the down.Watch the Great light show in the evening.stayover night at Yangshuo.

June 24th:Bicycle tour around rural Yangshuo,take the Yulong river bamboo rafting,visit some local old village,climb the Moon hill,cycling around the countryside road.stay overnight at Yangshuo!

June 25th:Take a taxi back to Guilin airport for departure.

HAVE FUN!

3. Re: Li River Cruise and Lulong Bamboo Raft: Both?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 03 September 2010, 15:05
Los Angeles, CA
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Li River Cruise and Lulong Bamboo Raft: Both?

Hi Laurel, thanks for the information on the river tours. Do you have contact info for Amy? Thanks again.

Hank

Melbourne
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Li River Cruise and Lulong Bamboo Raft: Both?

Hi Hank

Amys email address is

linfengamy2004@yahoo.com.cn

I had many emails from Amy before we left for China making sure all the things we wanted to see were organized. I tend to be an organizational nut when traveling :-)

She was wonderful. She picked us up from the guilin airport and got us to the hotel the night we flew in.. Picked us up the next morning and took us out to the Lonji RiceTerraces and walked with us taking us further than the usual tours went . We did a round trip walk not just up and down and it was fantastic. Brought us back to the village of Ping An for lunch. Then took us to Yangshuo and settled us in at the Li River Retreat. Picked us up the next morning and we spent a day doing the Li River ( where she came on the motorised raft with us) and then via a look at moon hill, the Yulong river on the 2 people rafts. She left us here and met us at the end of the river. Always smiling and happy to help in any way she could.

She arranged our tickets to the light show that evening and again met us with a taxi to get us there and once finished the taxi home. We had booked her for the full 3 days but we found out that it was her fathers 80th birthday and the family had arranged a big celebration in his honor and she was not going to go because of her commitment to us. Well i can assure you that we made her go but it did take a lot of persuading from us.. She even asked us to join them but my sister wasn't comfortable with that so we got all set up to have a massage and do some shopping in Yangshuo town allowing her the time with her family . Earlier that morning we hired bikes and we rode out to visit her farm. This was fantastic as we got to really get out there and see what the farming life for her away from being a tour guide is. her husband and son are farmers and Amy works as a tour guide to help the family.

The day we left she came with the arranged taxi ( which once again she organized) and it was very sad to say goodbye.

She was fantastic. Could not do enough to help us and it was just like spending time with a family friend. I would recommend her very highly and i am sure that if you decide to use her as your guide you will not be disappointed.

If i can assist in any other way please don't hesitate to ask.

and if you do book her say hi from Laurel and Meg

good luck

Yangshuo Guilin...
Level Contributor
510 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Li River Cruise and Lulong Bamboo Raft: Both?

Personal thinking, if you do not care the budget, hire a private car is better for you, the driver pickup you from Guilin hotel do zhujiang dock for river cruise, then pickup at yangshuo to yulong river dock for bamboo rafting and drive back to Guilin after cruise. there is no public transport from yangshuo to yulong river.

guilin private tours

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Li River Cruise and Lulong Bamboo Raft: Both?

Hi Laurel:

Read w/great interest your recount of your visit to Guilin and Li River & Yulong cruises. Tks. for all the info. We (total of 4) are planning a side trip to Guilin at the end of Oct. and would like to have a similar experience.

Where did you stay in Guilin and what was the cost? In Yangshuo you mentioned Li River Retreat. I'm assuming that's your accommodation. What was the cost?

Also, what was the cost of the Lonji Rice Terraces tour?

Thank you, in advance, for the reply and if you have any other tips/comments to pass along, they are all welcomed.

Jackie - Toronto, Canada

california
Level Contributor
796 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Li River Cruise and Lulong Bamboo Raft: Both?

Hello,

I'd be interested on how to get in touch with Amy, as my husband and I plan to go to Guilin/Kunming in November,

Thank you.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
158 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Li River Cruise and Lulong Bamboo Raft: Both?

linfengamy2004@yahoo.com.cn

i hear she has been sick but hope she will be ok when your there. just send an email and she will respond. Hope you have fun its an awesome place.

laurel

california
Level Contributor
796 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Li River Cruise and Lulong Bamboo Raft: Both?

Thanks for the info. I did not realized you had posted how to contact her in your other post. I'm still in the planning stage and hope it materialized, so I may have more questions to ask if it's definitely a GO. Meantime, what other places in China did you go? How many days did you stay in Guilin?

By the way, we just got back from 2 weeks holiday in Far North Queensland (Cairns, Port Douglas and cape tribulation) ans Sydney and had a wonderful time. WE did not have enough time to go visit other cities like Melbourne.Perhaps, someday we can go back as we really enjoyed your beautiful country,