We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sheraton or shangri-la ??

Which Guilin hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Topic
sheraton or shangri-la ??

Hi I have been checking out reviews on both Sheraton and Shangri-la on forums but has anyone stayed in both or give me feedback on a comparison, Please....Or should we be looking at something else with charm and friendly staff and a nice pool for the end of those hot hot days I keep hearing about in July ? Oh and a great buffet breakfast very important.....haha

Kerry

Yangshuo
Level Contributor
321 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: sheraton or shangri-la ??

I recommend Guilin Sheraton hotel,Best location,helpful and friendly staff.

Emmen, The...
Level Contributor
64 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sheraton or shangri-la ??

My opinion......

Nothing beats. Shangri-la......its brand new.

If swimpool is important to you..... make sure it is operation by the time of your stay.... otherwise sheraton is good 2e choice 5*.

Stayed last Year JML (no.1 ranked). Stayed begin of may Shangri-la... and gave myself quick look in lobby of sheraton. Glad I choose Shangri-la.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,840 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sheraton or shangri-la ??

Since the Shangri-la is brand new, I doubt people have stayed at both. I have only stayed at the Sheraton and it is a fine 5-star hotel but the Shangri-la is always a good choice and being brand new it is probably nicer. From the reviews it seems its location is not as good though.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: sheraton or shangri-la ??

Thats what I thought too, location of Sheraton seems better choice.

I expect it to be a little dated by the sounds of most reviews, but as long as it's clean, friendly staff and good buffet breakfast (included in our room price)I think we will go Sheraton and hope for the best...

TO JPDem..... as your expert on Shenzhen.

What's your thoughts on when we are in HK should we do day trip to Shenzhen if we have done Shanghai and Guilin, does it differ that much or still worth the trip we have 5 days in HK so have the time, going to do Macau for day as well.

Kerry

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,840 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sheraton or shangri-la ??

If you have been to Shanghai and Guilin there is not much to discover in Shenzhen. It is mostly a business center without any history (if was a fishermen's village of 12,000 people until it was designated a special economic zone in 1988). There are very few tourists attractions other than shopping which, in my opinion, is underwhelming compared to Shanghai or Beijing. Your time will be better spent in HK.

YANGSHUO
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: sheraton or shangri-la ??

Hi Kerry,

I think it depends how long will you stay, i would recommend you Shangri-la if you stay for only one night in Guilin, definitely very nice view from the room window and new. if 2 nights,even more,so i would suggest you to take Sheraton hotel Guilin which is the best location,located right in the center of the city and nice walking enviroment along Binjiang Rd,the river side,and also experienced staff....

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: sheraton or shangri-la ??

Thank you for advise. We arrive quite late at Guiling Airport on a Tuesday night and stay for till Friday afternoon. So 3 days thinking Sheraton is the go...

I read somewhere about a cable car up to a hill with great views, but can't seem to find where I read about it, do you know where it is and could I also fit it in. Within either day trip to

Yangshuo or

Longji terraces/Longsheng

Kerry

YANGSHUO
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: sheraton or shangri-la ??

Yes. either one is possible, it's just 5 kilometers away from the center of Guilin city.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: sheraton or shangri-la ??

Hi

I think the Sheraton is much better than Shangri-la in Guilin.

Firstly, Sheraton is located in the busy area of Guilin, and you can stroll around at night, and catch some fun. While Shangri-la is a little bit remote.

Secondly, the foods in western canteen are not so good, but also not too bad, just so-so. Anyway, the foods there disappointed me.

Guilin, China
12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: sheraton or shangri-la ??

hi,i suggest you try the jing guan ming lou holiday hotel,it’s nice