We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Guilin to HK

Brisbane
Level Contributor
104 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Train Guilin to HK

Hello,

Sorry to bring up this topic again but I'm finding it a little hard to find specific information. I'm a bit confused as to how the trains in China work on this route..

I would like to travel from Guilin to HK but I'm not sure if I need to go via Guangzhou or if there is a direct train?

If there is no direct train would it still be worth a stop off there for a couple of nights or so?

Is it alot cheaper to get the train to Shenzhen rather than to HK and if so how easy is it and what are the prices to cross over the border?

It seems that you cannot book train tickets until a couple of weeks prior to traveling is that correct?

I am also finding it hard to find approximate prices of these journeys.

Thank you in advance!

Amanda.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
41,753 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Guilin to HK

In China you can only buy tickets starting 10 days prior to departure. I am not familiar however with trains from HK if any. There are no direct trains from Shenzhen to Gulin and only one per day from Guangzhou. It is a pretty long ride, over 12 hours. I went this way a few times but always flew from Shenzhen or Guangzhou.

Easy to get from HK to Shenzhen, you must walk over the border (after a subway ride depending where you come from in HK)

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,974 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Guilin to HK

There is a train from Guilin to Shenzhen. It's a overnight train. You walk across the border at the train station and take the mtr into HK. I was planning on taking the train also but was worried about getting a ticket since I'm only in Guilin for 2 days so decided to fly to Shenzhen instead. www.cnvol.com for the train schedule and cost.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,929 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Guilin to HK

As rule of thumb, trains to Guangzhou or Shenzhen is easy to get from Guilin, though trains are limited(two to Guangzhou, one to SZ/hard sleeper at about 200-250 Y). But i highly recommend you have a look into air tickets to SZ(then you lots of options to HK, say bus or subway) if you could afford 500 Y.

Re train tickets in China, You can see what still available real time on this site launched by China Raiyway Ministry: http://www.12306.cn/mormhweb/kyfw/ypcx/ . Just select date and paste departure and arrival city names( in Chinese like 桂林,广州,深圳,九龙), put in security code then click 查询, you will see how many and which kinds of tickets are still available in seconds. I‘d like to give you some meaning of Chinese characters to help you understand well:

车次 Train No.

发站 from

到站 to

发时 depart time

到时 stop time

历时 duration

商务座 forget it (very few, only available in bullet trains )

特等座 forget it (very few, only available in bullet trains )

一等座 1st class seat (only available in bullet trains)

二等座 2nd class seat (only available in bullet trains)

高级软卧 luxury soft sleeper (a kind of private carbin with 2 beds and 1 toilet in it, it’s the best choice for night travel, but costs a lot even more than that of flight.)

软卧 normal soft sleeper

硬卧 hard sleeper

软座 soft seat

硬座 hard seat

无座 no seat, sit on your legs.

4. Re: Train Guilin to HK

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 15:17