We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time to china

Canberra
Level Contributor
179 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
first time to china

We are a couple in our mid 50's, planning 1st time to China in September 2012.

I have been reading the China forums for weeks gathering information.

We will spend aprox 4 days in Beijing, 2/3 in Xian area.

Would like to spend about 5/6 days in Guilin/ Yangshuo area.

Should we pre-book private tours from Australia or can we book a private guide or tours on arrival. If so do we book through our hotel?

We want to do the Li river cruise and see as much of the area as possible. Should we divide our stay between Guilin & Yangshuo or is it possible to just stay in one area and still do day trips?

Thank you.

Wendy Wei Tours
Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
China Highlights
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Top China Travel Guilin
City Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
China Odyssey Tours
Private Tours, City Tours, Multi-day Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,881 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time to china

I would not use the hotel as it is likely to be more expensive and you don't really know who you are getting.

5-6 days in the Guilin/Yangshuo area is a lot of time but most of it should be spent in Yangshuo. Probably no more than one day in Guilin.

It would be best to fins a guide from this forum or www.synotrip.com aheaf of time. Guides are not very expensive (especially in Yangshuo) and more flexible than tours. If you do not find a guide before you get there, it is not a big deal as there are many to be found in site.

By the way, I would cut one day from Xi'An to add it to Beijing.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time to china

Stay in Yangshuo, there are all we could do in Yangshuo-Guilin area, Guilin offers less to see except you are Chinese as there is something with history which interests Chinese more. You can firstly go to Longji rice terraces right from airport, stay one night there, then drive all the way to Yangshuo. Highlights of Yangshuo should be land cycling, River rafting, farming watching, local villager visiting, night show Liusanjie and bird catching fish, etc.

For tours arrangment surely you can let somebody in hotel lobby help you but take risk that they tend to offer you high price. Best solution would be book private local tours or all inclusive China tours at home in advance and better to chose Chinese local tour operator say some ones located in Guilin.

3. Re: first time to china

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2011, 11:24
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: first time to china

I have been to all the places. Any questions please ask me: keycilin@gmail.com 'cause I don't ofen come here.

P.S. I am only a student not a commercial guide.

Canberra
Level Contributor
179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time to china

Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply,

Jean-Pierre, I think I will take you advise re Another day in Beijing.

We would prefer to hire a car and a private english speaking guide, would that be possible after we arrive in the area? If so where would we go to find one. I have noted the suggestions about it being more expensive if we book through our hotel, So where would you suggest we find someone after arriving in Yangshuo?

Also can we fly from Guilin/Yangshuo direct to Hong Kong after our stay?

china
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: first time to china

of course ,you can fly from Guilin direct to HongKong.

Edited: 26 November 2011, 07:05
china
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: first time to china

sure .you can hire a car and a private english speaking after you arrive in yangshuo.

it is true :it is being more expensive ,if you book through your hotel.

you can seach your guide online or find it just in yangshuo

china
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: first time to china

i am local 。

if you have any problem .any details,please let me know.i will be very happy to help you. anytime ,anything.

your friend

and my email is bellylan@hotmail.com

Canberra
Level Contributor
179 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: first time to china

Thank you to everyone who replied to my questions,

Sussex UK
Level Contributor
83 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: first time to china

We booked our tour through a local Chinese company - Dragon Delight International - but did it in advance (from the UK). We had a similar itinerary to you with 4 days but we also added Chengdu to see the Pandas. We also spent a couple of days in Yangshuo and 4 in Guilin. As we had a completely private tour it did mean we could please ourselves and customise the stops. We put our full experiences at www.my-family-travel-to-china.com if that helps.

Yangshou is very beautiful and definitely worth a visit. I'd probably have settled for slightly less in Guilin and slightly more somewhere else along the tour. We stayed at the Mountain Retreat which had a fantastic setting, right on the river front.

Good Luck