We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guilin to Xi'an: need your thoughts.

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Guilin to Xi'an: need your thoughts.

We'll be in China for 14 days. Staying at 6 different places.

I'm having trouble with the Guilin to Xi'an flight decision.

The FLIGHT TIMES from Guilin to Xi'an:

08:05

15:40

21:00 (arrives 00:10 with stopover)

22:20 (arrives 00:05)

We'll be coming from the rice terrace. They have a bus that departs Dazhi at 11:30 which would get us to the airport about -14:00/14:30 (including a taxi ride)

That doesn't seem early enough for the 15:40 flight.

Q: Don't I need to be at the airport 2 hours prior to departure?

The late flights will get us into Xi'an very late, making necessary a taxi to the hotel, and paying extra for late check in.

Here are the options I've thought about:

1. 15:40 flight. private car to Guilin Airport. arrive early enough for 15:40 flight. With 3 of us, I think that'll cost about $100 more.

2. 22:20 flight. Spend some extra time in the rice terrace area or Guilin, arriving to Xi'an in the middle of the night. Sleep in a little before going to the Terracotta Warriors. I saw that my hotel charges extra for LATE checkin. They didn't really answer when I emailed asking how much more. It'll also be too late for the airport shuttle, so we'll have to take a taxi to the middle of Xi'an.

3. Stay in Guilin that night. Get up at 5am to catch the 8:05 flight. Go see the Terracotta Warriors early afternoon. (This will be a Thursday.)

We plan to depart Xi'an on Friday to get to PingYao. So Xi'an will be only 1 or 2 nights.

I've been mulling this over for more than a week, and haven't come to a decision. Maybe I should factor in which flight times are more or less expensive. I'm willing to pay more if it's the best option for our travel, but I just like to be aware of the costs and implications of what I am choosing!

There may be options or factors I'm not considering. Please share any thoughts you have.

Thanks so much,

A.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guilin to Xi'an: need your thoughts.

Are you sure they charge extra for late check-in? Never heard of this before. Late check-out, yes, but not check-in. For domestic flights it is recommended to be at the airport an hour before departure. Most check-ins close 30mins before flight departure. I'd stick with afternoon flight.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guilin to Xi'an: need your thoughts.

1 The charge is correct more or less. Never hurry for anything down from the mountains. Not safe.

2 Shuttle bus will operate until last flight, but night bus may only stop at Bell Tower. It's good if you have booked hotel around there like Citadine City Center.

3 All right. Doable. 1 or 2 nights, either is OK for Xian.

Midday flight is the most expensive, early morning is cheaper and night is the cheapest. Before 22:10, there is a 21:00 which is generally the cheapest among all but with a stopover. But the arrival time is similar to that of the latest flight.

Seems i would do the first option for the night flight, i can sleep till noon in Xian and start the sightseeing in afternoon.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,484 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guilin to Xi'an: need your thoughts.

I think that you misread about the late check-in, never heard of this.

For domestic flights, check-in ends 30 minutes before departure. 2 hours is way too early. 45 minutes or one hour is fine.

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Guilin to Xi'an: need your thoughts.

Here's the review where I read about the late checkin:

“Expensive”

Reviewed December 19, 2012

One of the most expensive hotels in our trip trough china. Very large room, it is actually a little appartment. If you would cook your own meals I would recommend this, if not, find something cheaper. We just wanted to let the hotel know we would arrive a little later and they charged us for this. Altough we didn't say we would want our room already. We checked out in the early morning, but the wouldn' give us a discount for it ofcourse (was worth the try).

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Shixia, General Manager at Citadines Central Xi'an, responded to this review

March 12, 2013

Dear Yannick, greetings from Citadines Central Xi'an and thank you for staying with us! We regret your dissatisfaction with the fee structure, but it is a rule we apply to all our guests.

...etc.

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Guilin to Xi'an: need your thoughts.

And on booking.com (where I made my reservation) here's a review:

Carlos

Family with older children

Caracas, Venezuela

March 24, 2013

La ubicación es excelente para conocer el centro de la ciudad, posee una estación de metro cerca.

The night rate was quite different from listed here, the staff doesn't found my booking quickly.

So this is where I got the idea. The hotel website says 24 hour front desk.

The booking.com website says checkin from 14:00 to 00:00.

So that's where I got the idea of paying for late check-in.

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Guilin to Xi'an: need your thoughts.

Maybe the airport will still have shuttle buses, even though it'll be after midnight.

The prices I'm seeing on ctrip:

for the 15:40 flight 1024 RMB pp

for the 22:20 flight 620 RMB pp

That's a savings of 404 RMB pp. = $65 USD pp. x3 people.

So maybe it's worth it to have a late night to save $195.

We'll likely get the worst room in the place checking in that late though!

Thanks so much for your replies and input. That's very helpful to know that domestic flights, it's enough to arrive 45 min to 1 hour prior to flight.

Tough decisions. Thanks again for all your wisdom and thoughts. I sure appreciate it.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
10,140 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Guilin to Xi'an: need your thoughts.

Why don't you cancel that Xi'an hotel with the ridiculous policy, and book a more reasonable one? Then at least the decision on which flight to take can be made in isolation.

Aiken, South...
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Guilin to Xi'an: need your thoughts.

I might cancel it.

It does have a great location, and one of the few highly rated Xi'an hotels in my price range with room for 3 people.

We're leaning towards the late night, to save the $$$. Hopefully the extra charge isn't outrageous.

Edited: 29 April 2013, 20:15
Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,647 posts
548 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Guilin to Xi'an: need your thoughts.

What Xi'an hotel is it? I may be able to verify their check-in policy for you. Asking for a deposit, or even one night's rent paid in advance via credit card, is usual and customary for late night arrival. But a surcharge is not.

As to airport arrival time: one hour before departure. China travel is less stressful if you don't cut your connections too close.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,647 posts
548 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Guilin to Xi'an: need your thoughts.

Re-read the thread more carefully. If your Xi'an lodging is Citadines Central, that's an apartment hotel, and as such may very well have additional fees for late arrival.

Edited: 30 April 2013, 01:35