We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Huashan during winter(January).

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
55 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Mount Huashan during winter(January).

Hi, I would like to ask if it is necessary to wear water proof shoes & crampon to hike Huashan during winter?

8 replies to this topic
Xi'an, China
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Huashan during winter(January).

The path is a bit narrow (1 meter to 2 meters), but it is smooth and with steps. I wear the common sneaker to climb the Mt.Huashan.

2. If it rains, wear water proof shoes. Otherwise, sneakers are OK.

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
55 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Huashan during winter(January).

Thank U, as I know it will be very cold during winter but does the floor get icy? Like my previous trip to Iceland, the temperature is higher than China but the floor become icy & crampon is a must.

Xi'an, China
Level Contributor
567 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Huashan during winter(January).

Not necessary ,Because If has snow ,the cleaner will clean it very quickly ,If someday ,catch heavy snow and ice ,the Mountain will be closed .

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
55 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Huashan during winter(January).

Thanks for the clear information. 👍

Xi'an, China
Level Contributor
567 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mount Huashan during winter(January).

Hope you'll have a pleasant time in Xi'an ,Any necessary ,please talk about .

5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mount Huashan during winter(January).

Hey mate, the tracks at Huashan are very well maintained and you can do it in normal attire, I would still recommend waterproof hiking boots though.

When in the winter are you going? December should be fine but it can get quite snowy in late January etc.

I wrote a post about my recent trip to Huashan during mid December. There was little to no ice on the tracks - you can check out the pictures if you like

peaklagger.com/walking-sky-plank-huashan-win…

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
55 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mount Huashan during winter(January).

Hi Nikhil, thank u & your post for the Huashan is providing very useful information. And very clear photos too. But I would want to ask, u said u not able to find the bus from Huashan North station to the Mountain entrance? Any idea what happen & others seems manage to find them just in front of the station? I will need them too.

U paid the Chinese lady rmb15 for the ride? Is it dangerous & how long is the drive?

Btw, I shall be reaching there on the 27th Jan. I decide to wear my water proof shoe & also my crampon since they are easy to carry anyway. Just incase. Haha

5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mount Huashan during winter(January).

Hello Ben

I am sure there are green shuttle buses, I just gave up looking for them OR I got to the station too early. Maybe they only run from 0800 onwards or something.

You make a valid point about taking a random car haha. That lady just cornered me but if you were particular you should always use a taxi. There are just a lot of drivers in china who will approach you and try and sell you a ride to popular tourist locations.

As for crampons - the mountain is extremely well maintained. I daresay.... that if you needed to use crampons for a section, that that section would just be closed off. I don't think the authorities on the mountain would allow people to wear crampons / traverse areas that needed crampons.

When I went, there were a couple of sections closed off because of the ice but the vast majority of the mountain was open. This is more of an alpine resort than a traditional mountain. Everything is paved, well lit and gated.

Edited: 19 December 2017, 18:27
Reply to: Mount Huashan during winter(January).
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted