We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Beijing to Xian

Which Xi'an hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
From Beijing to Xian

Hi all,

Any help will be very much appreciated?

My wife and I are planning to travel from Beijing to Xian in late October.

What is the best option - train or plane?

How much is the train? I read it is an overnight ride, correct?

How about plane? Which airline operates the domestic route? And can I book the ticket online?

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,

Toh

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Beijing to Xian

We booked our domestic travel before we left. The plane trip is pretty fast. You will be in the air for around 2 and a half hours.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Beijing to Xian

Hi there,

Thanks for the info. Could you please tell me which airline did you book the flight with? I presume I will be able to book it on the net.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Toh

Canada
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Beijing to Xian

I recommend the overnight Z-train. leaves about 8 p.m, arrives about 7 a.m.

soft sleeper (4 to a cabin costs about 420rmb. there are deluxe soft sleepers, 2 to a cabin, cost more, not sure how much.

to book internal flights got to elong.com, or ctrip.com, or 9588.com.

prices drop as you get closer to departure. book a few days before.

enjoy

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From Beijing to Xian

Thanks very much Chiefie!

Can I find out more about the Ztrain on the net?

That's interesting about the price of the flight. I assume the flights are not usually full and we should when we arrive in Beijing ?

Thanks again for your help.

Kind regards,

Toh

5. Re: From Beijing to Xian

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2008, 03:56
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From Beijing to Xian

Thanks asprilla,

I have checked out your web site.

Two questions remain - we are interested in the soft sleeper option which costs RMB417/person. There will be two of us. How many passangers are there in a cabin? If more than two people how much more do we need to pay to have the cabin to ourselves?

Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Toh

beijing
Level Contributor
251 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: From Beijing to Xian

if want a compartment, you can buy deluxe soft sleeper ticket, two berth in one close compartment.

Taiyuan, China
Destination Expert
for Pingyao County
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: From Beijing to Xian

You might consider sharing a 4-beth compartment. This is one of the best chances you will have to meet some Chinese people and interact a bit.

I do find that people in soft sleepers tend to keep to themselves more than in hard sleeper, though. Of course you may have not intererst in this, and you never know what kind of people you could end up with (they might even be other foreign tourists).

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: From Beijing to Xian

Thanks guys,

So correct me if I am wrong here:

The 'soft sleeper' is a cabin for 4 people whereas 'deluxe soft sleeper' is a private compartment for two.

And the price is the same?

Kind regards,

Toh

Kauai, Hawaii
Level Contributor
2,594 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: From Beijing to Xian

Correct except for the last statement. The delux soft sleeper (2 bunks & private toilet) is 750 yuan per peron. Like travellevret mentioned, we enjoyed sharing a 4 bunk soft sleeper with a local lady who spoke excellent English. Here's another link that shows one of the cabins:

http://seat61.com/China.htm

I'd recommend getting the tickets through your hotel or a travel agent while in Beijing unless you are a mosh pit fan. I got mine at the Beijing rail station and it was s fairly physical yet memorable experience. There is supposed to be a separate room for foreign ticket buyers, but it was closed while I was there.