We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Defachang dumpling restaurant

Which Xi'an hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
145 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Defachang dumpling restaurant

Hello,

I've read about this xian restaurant, which should be located directly on Bell Tower square.

I'd really want to try it, but I'm a little bit scared of language barriers.

Do you know if this restaurant has english menus ? Or if any of the staff is English speaking ?

More over: I've read about their dumpling banquets... can someone explain how it works ?

Thanks !

xian
Level Contributor
750 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Defachang dumpling restaurant

Hi friend You worry about some restaurants haven't Eglish menu and nobody speak English.You are right.But Defacgang Dumpling Restaurant most waitress can speak English(Near by Bell & Drum Tower).If you want to try the common dumpling half kg cost 25yanRMB.If you take dumpling banquet 80 or 100yuan/person.Don't worry about your luggage.You carry that go to the restaurant. Tanks

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Beijing, Lijiang
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Defachang dumpling restaurant

Popular restaurant & they have English menus. Enjoy.

xi'an
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Defachang dumpling restaurant

Hi,amsoft:

The DeFACHANG resturant have the english menu, the waitress can speak simple english, because everyday there are so many foreigners have dumplings there. The dumpling banquet is a typical Xi'an food, many kinds of different dumplings, with different ingredients and different lookings , very interesting.each kind of the dumpling every one only got one, but after you taste all of them, you are very full.thanks.

Washington D.C.
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Defachang dumpling restaurant

Are there any dishes for vegetarian? Thanks.

xi'an
Level Contributor
48 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Defachang dumpling restaurant

Yeah, there are some dishes and dumplings for vegetarians.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Defachang dumpling restaurant

I believe it does have English menus. As with all Chinese food, it would be better to go in a bigger group for more fun and sharing!

Yes, I think you should be able to find some vegetarian dishes, though I think most of the dumplings weren't vegetarian.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1,243 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Defachang dumpling restaurant

We ate there 2 weeks ago and are vegetarian - had a detailed description of what we can and cannot eat (that Ellyse sent to us - very useful - thanks Ellyse!). Anyway, (1) I don't recall seeing a menu; (2) the waitresses' English is fairly limited, and (3) we ended up taking the set 100 Yuan menu - it was a VERY good and enjoyable meal that, due to our "we are vegetarian..." paper was fully vegetarian. I strongly recommend the place - much nicer and more fun than the vegetarian restaurant near the Great Wild Goose Pagoda (across the street, west side). Definitely worth the price.

Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Yunnan
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Defachang dumpling restaurant

strangley i don't see why people think its so good. real xian style dumplings are very good. this is not a place i would go.

jokingly i call it the defecate reastaurant. my xian friends understand the english play on words.

Bay City, Michigan
Level Contributor
46 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Defachang dumpling restaurant

I ate there three times while spending five weeks in Xi'an. (I just got home two days ago.) My experience was that there was no English menu and the English of the wait staff was very limited. That being said, the staff was friendly and did their best to help us.

Let me give you a run down of how it works. You go to the counter where you order your steamed or boiled dumplings. You will pay there and receive tickets for the things that you ordered. You then put the tickets on your table and then the wait staff will give you the appropriate dumplings as they wheel big carts around the restaurant. There are also carts of various side dishes that are wheeled around. You basically point and chose and pay on the spot. There is also a cart with "soup" which is free. It's just the water in which the dumplings are boiled.

The food there is good. Was it the best I had in Xi'an? No, but I would still recommend it.

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
145 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Defachang dumpling restaurant

Thank you Michigan_Traveller72, but what about the dumpling banquet that I've heard of ?

Do I still need to go to the counter and tell the waiter that I want a dumpling banquet instead of some specific kind of dumplings ?