We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please tell me which one is better ,Xi'an VS Shanghai

Chicago
14 posts
Save Topic
please tell me which one is better ,Xi'an VS Shanghai

My travelling period is short. I will visit either Xi'an or Shanghai.

please give me the suggestions to help me to make decision.

thank you

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
42,480 posts
826 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: please tell me which one is better ,Xi'an VS Shanghai

That depends on what you like. We cannot decide for you. Do some readings on both places and make up your mind.

xian
Level Contributor
750 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: please tell me which one is better ,Xi'an VS Shanghai

Hi Friend If want to know mach Chinese history,you come to Xi'an to visit.If you want to know morden China, you'd better go to Shanghai. Thanks Xi'an wildbee

Xian
Level Contributor
191 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: please tell me which one is better ,Xi'an VS Shanghai

It depends on what you are interested in!

For history, ancient relics, then you probably should come to Xian which is aged over 3,000 years.

For modern, new, hi-tech and even vanity, Shanghai is irreplaceable in China which is of the age of 100 years.

Terracotta Army highlights Xian tour, and two days is probably enough to have a brief idea of Xian and even China.

Shanghai is usually the entrance or exit for foreigners' China tours. Tourists would spend more time to visit around Shanghai, some beautiful water villages, traditional Chinese gardens in Suzhou and Hangzhou.

Beijing, China
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: please tell me which one is better ,Xi'an VS Shanghai

Shanghai

Xian is too old and boring.

Guilin, China
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: please tell me which one is better ,Xi'an VS Shanghai

Hi,friend.

How do you want to spend your short journey? I suggest that you go to Xi'an for a more relaxing,easy and economical tour which brings you the long history and classical culture of China. 2-3days is fairly enough for your short plan.

Have a goog time for your tour !

New York
Level Contributor
420 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: please tell me which one is better ,Xi'an VS Shanghai

I think Shanghai is amazing. It is a fine mix of old colonialism, old Chinese and New. Xi'an is a day trip to see the terrocata solidiers - also amazing and not to be missed. If you are short on time, fly in the night before, see the soliders the next day and fly out that night.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: please tell me which one is better ,Xi'an VS Shanghai

I vote for Xian!

Xian is the ancient capitol city of China. Today, the city itself is an interesting mixture of modern and old, and it is surrounded by famous and fascinating historical sites.

Shanghai is a BIG, modern, busy, loud, crowded city in China. ( okay, I am not a fan of Shanghai). It does not have much to offer to tourists, unless you just wanted to shop and eat.

2 days is good amount of time for either Xian or Shanghai. Have a great visit!

xi an
Level Contributor
339 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: please tell me which one is better ,Xi'an VS Shanghai

hi if you want to know more of chinese history and culture .it is better you choose xi an .

if you want to see modern china .you may go to shanghai .it is just like new york

Chicago
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: please tell me which one is better ,Xi'an VS Shanghai

many thanks to everybody .I am planning my trip at the moment.

I can' wait to go to China.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: please tell me which one is better ,Xi'an VS Shanghai

Shanghai is ok if you want to westerm party style and have plenty of $$$. Xi'an would be my preference for things to see.

Ohh-- i lived in shanghai. $$$ were irrelevant...