We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our experience in Xi'an

Edmonton, AB
Level Contributor
272 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Our experience in Xi'an

We were just in Xi'an. It is much bigger than we thought and transportation is not as easy as larger places like Beijing and Shanghai where there is a subway that takes you everywhere. We hired a private guide who arranged for an airport pick up and drop of f and to take us around Xi'an. If this works for your budget, I would certainly recommend this. We arrived at night and has 2 days of touring. We went to the Terra cotta warriors in the morning, the Neolithic village (Bampo people) afteward, and the wall around 4 pm. We were on the wall for a short period of time as it was later in the day (we were a little tired) and a little cool there. It cost 40 RMB/person and not so worthwhile as we were there for such a short time. In the evening, we went to the Tang Dynasty show that included a dumpling dinner. I think you can go to the show without the dinner. I would suggest to eat elsewhere and only go to the show (the dumpling were only okay). I am not sure of the difference in cost. The next day we went to the museum and it was hard to see the exhibits as it was so crowded. Since we paid the 20 RMB to enter, we were able to see a special exhibit which is not available if you go in for free and that was good (not crowded at all) . Afterwards we went to Big Goose Pagoda and the Muslin market. I was not into shopping and I am not sure how this is different from other markets. Then we went off to the airport.

If I had it to do overagain, I would stay 2 nights and leave early on the 3rd day and have 1 day of touring - see the Terracotta warriors in the am, Museum in the afternoon, and Tang Dynasty show in the evening.

Certainly worth stopping in Xi'an

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
10,959 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our experience in Xi'an

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip.

We spent three days in Xi'an and loved it. In the Muslim quarter we visited the mosque (which does not look like a mosque). We enjoyed interacting with the people in the restaurants and trying some different foods.

We had an apartment so we went grocery shopping. We found a huge outdoor pedestrian shopping area with many stores at street level and a huge shopping area below street level. Shopping at the Walmart was interesting. The aisle signs had some English but most food labels did not.

We took a full day with a guide to the Banpo Museum and the Terra Cotta Warriors. We were also taken to a place for a massage as my husband had a sore back. That was very interesting. No one there spoke English.

We also went to the Tang Dynasty show and we enjoyed the food as well as the show. There was an amazing variety of dumplings.

We enjoyed wandering around the Big Goose Pagoda and watching the local people. Some of them had some large, ornate kites.

The old city wall in Xi'an is special. We took the electric cart ride around it. You can get a sense of this huge and rapidly growing city from there. There are construction cranes everywhere. The centre of Xi'an with the wall and drum and bell towers lit up is very special.

Geelong
Level Contributor
143 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our experience in Xi'an

Thanks Mary-ann and Edmonton Traveller. My wife and I are travelling to Xian in January for three days. Your reviews have added to our excitement that we will be visiting the places you have mentioned. Eating dumplngs must be a personal taste. Here's our plan:

Day 1 - Big Goose Pagoda, ancient City Walls (hiring a bicycle or electric cart - depends on weather), a Chinese lunch somewhere, Muslim Quarter and Great Mosque

Day 2 - Terracotta Warriors and Horses, Banpo Museum, Tang Dynasty Show

Day 3 - Museum and then we fly out in the afternoon.

Thanks again for your ideas,

Kel (Australian)

Vancouver, B.C.
Level Contributor
1,916 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our experience in Xi'an

In Xian right now. You don't need a driver to take you to the Terracotta Warriors. You can take the green 306 bus in front of the train station and it only costs 7 yuan each way. It took us a bit of time to find it but we did though we got on a 914 bus that also went to the Warriors in the same amount of time (1 hour) however we paid 8 yuan going and 7 yuan coming back? There are guides standing around the entrance and inside so you can decide if you want to hire one there.

Yes the wall is just a wall but it's one of the few full city walls remaining in China. We got scammed by this driver who took us to the same spot we were earlier at. I wasn't sure how to get up to the wall, you look for a ramp going up and that is where the entrance is. Just walked a bit of it as my dad refused to walk. I walked to one corner and then turned back.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our experience in Xi'an

Thanks for the reports, we also liked Xian very much.

5. Re: Our experience in Xi'an

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2012, 10:18