We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommending a Xian tour guide - Dai Li

Which Xi'an hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Malaysia
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Recommending a Xian tour guide - Dai Li

I would like to recommend Dai Li as a tour guide in Xian. He is one of the best guides I have come across in my travel in China. He is fluent in English, knowledgeable, professional and realiable.

We requested for a tour of Xian city by public bus as we wanted to have a feel of life in Xian. It was a challenging task for him as there were fourteen of us to look after. He handled it beautifully without losing anyone of us. We visited Qinglong (Green Dragon) temple to admire the cherry blossom, big wild goose pagoda, Xian city wall, drum tower, muslim quarter and the great mosque. That was an extraordinary and enjoyable trip for all of us.

Dai Li was also very kind and helpful too, he guided us to the high speed train station to take the bullet train to Mt Huashan for a two days tour on our own. We were lucky to have him as our guide in Xian.

He can be contacted at dai20008@aliyun.com.

Level Contributor
5 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommending a Xian tour guide - Dai Li

Hi hi. Just wish to find out of the tour guide fees that you have paid and was there a van that you have hired? How much that you have paid for the van? Thanks a lot

Malaysia
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommending a Xian tour guide - Dai Li

Hi,

That was quiet sometime ago, I think I paid about rmb350-400 for the guide. We hired a big bus for rmb1000 to take us to visit the terracotta warriors museum and Huaqing hot spring. A smaller van should cost less than that.

Delhi
Level Contributor
29 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommending a Xian tour guide - Dai Li

We hired Dai Li (Darren) based on the reviews in this and another post. He was the biggest disappointment of our trip in China. We were a family of 9 - hired him for the car and guide service. He was most disinterested in showing us around, he did not know the history of most sites. Infact at every place we visited, he would read the write-ups at the entrance and then tell us about the place (after we would insist on him telling us about the place!). He didn't know entry/exit times or even entry fee costs! If he was a regular guide, how could he not know these basics, especially considering the fact that there are only 4-5 things to see in Xian. At one point we told him to go hear other guides and come and replay what they were telling their tour groups. At many points we caught him giving us completely incorrect information. At one site he told us to go and see it ourself and come out and meet him at the car- we completely refused as we were paying him for guide services!! By the second day when we went to the terricota warriors (which he had assured us he knew better than the other places), he finally hired a guide for us there itself to take us around- perhaps the smartest thing he did on the entire trip. He was obviously not confident of his knowledge and decided to further outsource his services. I have to however mention that through all of this, he had a pleasant and pleasing personality and was at no point gruff or rude to us. The driver on the other hand was possibly the most angry young man we saw in China! He drove safe, which was a good thing, but refused to stop at a store to buy milk for one of the babies with us, or drive through the city wall in the evening to see the lights. He was quite rigid. We ended the trip dissapointed with our tour services, but very happy with the outsourced guide at the Terricota Warriors. Darren's price was competitive and good, however I would definitely pay for an actual guide, but hire him for his car services. This experience has made me lose faith in tripadvisor reviews to a great extent.

Guilin, China
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommending a Xian tour guide - Dai Li

Hi,

I have also good experience with Xian tour guide. Last year, I had went vacation in China with family. Its really amazing tour trip. I never forget about the beautify of China. Thanks for sharing your Xian tour experience with us.

5. Re: Recommending a Xian tour guide - Dai Li

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2015, 05:15