We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Spring Airlines safe? (Shanghai - Xi'an)

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
29 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Is Spring Airlines safe? (Shanghai - Xi'an)

Hi,

I am planning to book flights from Shanghai to Xi'an for two person, and most of the airlines I found trough Kayak.com/Expedia.com, etc gave me a standard rate starting from $450+ per person (round trip), thus for 2 will equal to about $900++ (China Eastern Air, China Southern, Juneyao Airlines)

Then I found Spring Airlines, which is a budget airlines and the rates are cut by half - I get to pay only around $450++ for 2 person! of course, it is a no-frills airlines

But I am hesitant to book it as am not sure just how safe it is or how comfortable it will be? I am not fussy as I know if you pay much cheaper, do not expect the same amount of service and frills as you pay double the amount! I have taken budget airlines like Air Asia , and it is still OK and good.

Can anyone tell me if they have been on Spring Airlines before and how was it?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Shanghai
Shanghai
Shanghai Region, China
Beijing, China
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Spring Airlines safe? (Shanghai - Xi'an)

Well, a quick search by me and I pull up China Eastern for about $200 return so perhaps you should look on other websites. Ctrip or Travelzen or elong, for example.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
2,237 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Spring Airlines safe? (Shanghai - Xi'an)

Every major airline in China is "safe". As safe as an airline can be. No one can give you a 100% guarantee that nothing will happen. Like no one can guarantee that you will not have a traffic accident on your way to the airport.

Edited: 06 June 2014, 11:10
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
43,945 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Spring Airlines safe? (Shanghai - Xi'an)

Of course it is safe. Any unsafe airline would not be flying.

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
29 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Spring Airlines safe? (Shanghai - Xi'an)

Qupnicely - I have nvr heard of those sites before. Thanks for the tip, will check it out!

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
29 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Spring Airlines safe? (Shanghai - Xi'an)

I guess - yeah it should be 'safe' as other airlines :). I was just kinda worried coz I have never heard of this airlines before. Even for other domestic flights last time it has always been either China Southern or Eastern.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Spring Airlines safe? (Shanghai - Xi'an)

Jp you have obviously never flown pia - commonly known to us westerners as pray it arrives...

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,930 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Spring Airlines safe? (Shanghai - Xi'an)

In China, nobody would ever ask this question which airline is safer. Because they are totally safe in this sense. Spring Airline is cheap, but they have little free luagge limit and can charge you huge money for overweight. They tend to be beneficent to non Chinese but not every time.

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for Guangzhou
Level Contributor
13,377 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Spring Airlines safe? (Shanghai - Xi'an)

Good question, is Spring Air safe compare to Malaysian Air?

US$450 PP RT is not cheap, should be about half that, doesn't need to be a discount carrier, can be China Southern or Eastern or Air China. US$900 for 2 RT is way too expensive, search more, best prices tend to be close to travel day, within 1 month, in some cases, even within days.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,203 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Spring Airlines safe? (Shanghai - Xi'an)

My wife refuses to fly with Spring Airlines, but not because of safety concerns. Apparently they have a rather bad reputation for delays occurring pretty regularly.

Xi'an, China
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Spring Airlines safe? (Shanghai - Xi'an)

Yes, Spring Airlines is very safe. Well, comparatively, it is a buget airlines and only economic tickets available. Taking the flight, you are not allowed to have too heavy check-in luggages(below 15kg), or you may not enjoy snacks or food in the plane.

Hope is useful for you.

Amazingxiantour