We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sleeper bus Xi'an - Shanghai? Trains sold out

Which Xi'an hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
18 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Sleeper bus Xi'an - Shanghai? Trains sold out

I need to get from Xi'an to Shanghai on the 12th August 2014. Today is the 7th of August and every train is sold out apart from 1 Z-class hard seat (20hrs journey time). Having just done an overnight hard seat (13hrs) never again.

Any busses which I can book in advance from Xi'an to Shanghai? I arrive in Xi'an on the 9th in the evening so waiting until we are in Xi'an would be leaving it too late.

Can't seem to find an online booking system.

Ps. Flight is not an option please do not recommend

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,913 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sleeper bus Xi'an - Shanghai? Trains sold out

Forget bus, pick those:

Option1:

take high speed train to Luoyang for overnight train Luoyang-Shanghai K736, which still offers plenty of hard sleepers for 12th Agust today.

note: you have to change train stations in Luoyang.

Option2:

high speed train to Zhengzhou, then to Shanghai.

Book Zhengzhou-Shanghai as soon as you read this post. For 12th August, there are still quite a number tickets Zhengzhou-Shanghai, high speed train D train hitting Shanghai same day or old traditional sleeper trains, whatever.

note: you may or may not change train stations in Zhengzhou, just see your ticket never mix.

Option3:

need some luck as it is not guaranteed, but generally it has been working fairly well. You just wait until 11th, check again, if somebody may cancel their sleepers for Xian-Shanghai.

Level Contributor
18 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sleeper bus Xi'an - Shanghai? Trains sold out

Thanks mate. Lookin into it now

Can I ask the website you drew your info from. I did something similar (checked out some maps) and saw xian-Nanjing was a good one with nanjing-shanghai after. Struggling to actually book anything though none of the websites seem to work properly for me

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,823 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sleeper bus Xi'an - Shanghai? Trains sold out

Don't check maps but rather use the search engines of ticket agents. Most are connected to the official Chinese booking system so they are totally accurate. You can then book with them. For example www.china-diy-travel.com. This routes requires advance booking especially at this time of the year.

Level Contributor
18 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sleeper bus Xi'an - Shanghai? Trains sold out

I just booked our tickets on chinatraintickets.net.

12th August - Xian to Nanjing 19:45 Z88 train, deluxe sleeper. Arrival 07:46 the next day (12hr journey time)

13th August - Nanjing to Shanghai 09:00 G7005 train, 1st class. Arrival 10:39. (1hr 40mins journey time)

Total for the 2 tickets each is 2500 RMB

They have to deliver the tickets to my hostel before the 12th, usually they said it's 48 to 72hrs delivery from time of booking so should be plenty of time. Quite excited now to try the deluxe sleeper as it is a room just for the 2 of us, has a tv, private bathroom and all that sort of jazz.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
8,398 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sleeper bus Xi'an - Shanghai? Trains sold out

Yes, that combo will work nicely and very comfortably. Good for you.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,823 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sleeper bus Xi'an - Shanghai? Trains sold out

Wow, this is super expensive!

The Deluxe sleeper is 789.5RMB while the G7005 for 1st class is 219.5RMB for a total of 10010RMB! And you paid 2500RMB? The link I gave you above they only charge $10 per ticket or about 120RMB for these two tickets. So you paid more than double that.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,913 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sleeper bus Xi'an - Shanghai? Trains sold out

I checked the three deluxe sleepers are available through Nanjing all the way to Suzhou by 09:35 until Hangzhou by 12:13 PM. Probably you may get you booked on to Suzhou, you will have one full day looking around a few gardens before take high speed train (available till 22:30 pm) just for half hour to Shanghai.

Or go to the last stop Hangzhou if this city interests you, stay one night, go to Shanghai the next day.

BTW, service fee of the agent goes quite far beyond reasonable line.

Level Contributor
18 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sleeper bus Xi'an - Shanghai? Trains sold out

^thanks for the tip sir, but tickets are already booked. And we have some heavy backpacks so walking around gardens would not be ideal. We have 3 days to 'do' shanghai

"Wow, this is super expensive!

The Deluxe sleeper is 789.5RMB while the G7005 for 1st class is 219.5RMB for a total of 10010RMB! And you paid 2500RMB? The link I gave you above they only charge $10 per ticket or about 120RMB for these two tickets. So you paid more than double that."

Not double, I bought 2 of each.. I'm with my wife

And the small balance is delivery cost, and .3% paypal fees they impose should you use it (I did). Which is over and above the $10 commission you noted which excludes delivery and other fees.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,823 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sleeper bus Xi'an - Shanghai? Trains sold out

OK, you post said "each" which I read as being per person.

Level Contributor
18 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sleeper bus Xi'an - Shanghai? Trains sold out

The travel agent FAILED!

They noted they said they had issues with their paypal account so did not book my tickets, which have now sold out. They still have my $400 USD. I asked them to book an alternative route (like suggested above) but they won't do it they keep referring to my original booking and say "sold out". I'm in a Safari park with my wife trying to search ok my phone for alternatives in this sweltering heat but it's doing no good, the original website china trains.net will not let me book anything for the 12tj only 13th which is useless

Is there any website which will allow me to still book for the 12th (alternative such as Luoyang-shanghai) and still deliver my tickets in time? This is very disastrous news