We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best travel guide we have ever experienced!

Melbourne
Level Contributor
6 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
The best travel guide we have ever experienced!

We engaged Bryanbaichen today for a one day tour of the terracotta warriors and the animal rescue center. I cannot over-emphasize how impressed we were with Bryan's services (and of course his driving partner Charlie Wong :) )

We had arrived in Xi'an from Beijing where we had a disappointing experience with a Tripadvisor recommended guide (Mr. Ping). To experience the contrast provided by Bryan's service was truly experiencing how it should be done!

Key points to note regarding Bryan & his service:

* Extremely courteous, caring & polite guide

* Excellent English - better than many people I know whose first language is English :)

* Fantastic knowledge of Chinese history, and is clearly passionate about the subject. Points out many interesting points along the way as well as little known facts on the guided tours of terra cotta warriors etc

* In relation to the guided tours, Bryan points out many small points which you would not find out for yourself. He is extremely patient and does not rush you or crowd you. If you want more time to explore, he is happy for you to do so and respects the fact you are a tourist and this is a new experience for you. Many tour guides who have visited sites many times can become complacent and try and keep you moving through, however Bryan does not and allows you time to fully enjoy the experience

* I am interested in history and ask a lot of questions. Sometimes I feel like I ask too many questions as guides can struggle to find answers, however it was extremely easy with Bryan. Upon reflection there was not a single question I asked that Bryan could not answer thoroughly for me!

* Bryan takes into consideration the fact you are a foreign tourist, and is particular about pointing out the 'more westernised' toilets for you along the way, and also whilst he took us to a traditional restaurant, only did so once he knew we were happy to go. We have had experiences where guides take you to restaurants whether you really want to go or not, which can be uncomfortable!

* Bryan works with reputable drivers, and Charlie Wong who drove for us today was a safe, well experienced driver. The car was a very nice vehicle, and very clean and in good condition, making it a pleasurable trip. Overall we cannot recommend Bryan more highly.

He is the best tour guide we have had the pleasure to travel with, and have no hesitation in recommending his services. I am happy for anyone with queries to contact me for further details.

Edited: 10 December 2014, 13:09
Bravo Asia Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Nanwutai Mountain
Sacred & Religious Sites
Xixi Anan
Cultural Tours
99 replies to this topic
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
45,295 posts
824 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best travel guide we have ever experienced!

Not sure if this is the same Bryan that other have talked about but contact info would help future travelers.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
199 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best travel guide we have ever experienced!

The One and Only Bryan Bai Chen is really a wonderful person and guide. We still keep in touch today and our trip to XIan was over a year ago. He is all those things mentioned in the above post and more. He has a great sense of humour and yes, indeed, very caring and considerate of your needs. After all, he is "working" for you and to ensure that you have a good time in his city that is so extremely proud of, and for good reason too.

Bryan posts on the Xian forum a lot, so you can find him here.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
148 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best travel guide we have ever experienced!

I'd like to add that due to the number of good reviews Brian has received on Trip Advisor I contacted Him for a tour of

Xi'an. Unfortunately he was already booked but he still went to the trouble of emailing me with suggestions of where to go and stay and offered to arrange a pick up service by someone else as he was unable to do it on that day.

Xi'an, China
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best travel guide we have ever experienced!

Hello:

To be a good guide, you need to be honest, professionalism, willing to listen, permanent learning, passion and a humble, relaxed, approach to any kind of competence, the pleasure to do their jobs, eager to learn new thing for everyday.

bryanbaichen

england
Level Contributor
81 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best travel guide we have ever experienced!

Hi There Bryans e-mail address is bryanbaichen@aliyun.com

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best travel guide we have ever experienced!

I hired Bryan a few weeks ago for a one-day trip to Qin Shi Huang & Han Yang Ling and also had a terrific experience: knowledgeable, courteous, & efficient...highly recommended!

Isle of Palms...
Level Contributor
2 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best travel guide we have ever experienced!

My wife and I hired Bryan for a two day visit to Xian In March 2015 based on Tripadvisor reviews. We couldn't have been more pleased.

Bryan was proactive, contacting us in advance to confirm our arrival flight and time. We arranged for airport pickup, transfer to our hotel, a full day and evening of activities, a half day and our final drop off at the airport. All went without a hitch.

Bryan was very considerate and offered both a well planned itinerary and insight into the sites as we toured them with him. His driver Charlie is a great guy,personable, prompt and very safe.

We covered a lot of ground in a weekend and could not have done it without Bryan's help and guidance. For example, he suggested an evening cultural show which we had been a bit reluctant to arrange as "possibly too touristy". in fact, it was great fun and well worth seeing.

A truly fine experience.

Sydney, Australia
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The best travel guide we have ever experienced!

He does sound wonderful can you advise of a rough price for the two days hire

Edited: 26 March 2015, 06:14
Xi'an, China
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The best travel guide we have ever experienced!

Thank you!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The best travel guide we have ever experienced!

Our group of 14 travelled through Xian on our trip through Vietnam and China - we researched the internet and used bryanbai for our tour. We were thoroughly impressed. Our 2 and a half day tour started with Bryan meeting us at the airport with a 33 seat coach and then getting us checked in to the Citadenes Central - the next day we visited the Warriors and then made it back to town and rode the city wall. That night he got us tickets to the dumpling dinner followed by Tang Dynasty show. Day 2 was another early start as we travelled to Mount Huashan - several of our party climbed to the top during this full day trip. The last morning was spent in the markets which Bryan took us to before going with myself to the train station to pick up tickets (booked from Australia) for our overnight trip to Shanghai. Bryan took the whole party to the station and sat with us in the lounge until we boarded - a real good mate.

Reply to: The best travel guide we have ever experienced!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Xi'an
Recent Conversations