We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting Kunming and Yunnan in April

Which Kunming hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Yangon
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visiting Kunming and Yunnan in April

Hi,

my family and I (two adults and a two years old) are planning to visit Kunming for a week (8 nights) in April.

My questions are: how is the weather in April? We are not equipped for cold weather, have a 2 years old and don't speak Chinese...how difficult is this going to be?

Should we organise a tour in advance? We don't want to spend too much time on a bus (not more then 4 hours) and don't need to achieve too much. Not interested in shopping tours!

Do you have any suggestion? Thanks in advance!

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,082 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visiting Kunming and Yunnan in April

What is your plan? 8 days is a lot. You will run out of things to do after 2 days.

For the weather, check a weather website for historical temperatures. What is cold for you may not be cold for me.

There is definitely less english spoken in Kunming than, say, Shanghai.

Yangon
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Visiting Kunming and Yunnan in April

Sorry, I didn't mean 8 days in Kunming but just that we are flying there.

The idea is to visit Yunnan but with only 8 days and not speaking chinese I am wondering if it is feasible.

We would also like a trek but nothing too advanced (the child).

I was thinking about Dali and Lijiang.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,082 posts
815 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visiting Kunming and Yunnan in April

Ok that makes more sense.

These are very nice places to visit. It will be difficult to make your way out of town on your own without some language assistance. The hotel can help you get a driver and give him instructions or you can get a guide when you want to leave the center of the city.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visiting Kunming and Yunnan in April

I would normally suggest you visit the stone forest as you'll be in Kunming anyway but there's a lot of walking and climbing involved so it's not ideal for a 2 year old, with this in mind I would go straight to Lijiang.

Yangon
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Visiting Kunming and Yunnan in April

Thanks (grazie!) both for your messages. Do you think I should arrange things in advance by contacting an agency and/or booking internal flights or can I do it once I am in Kunming?

If the first option is the wiser, do you have any suggestions?

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
181 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visiting Kunming and Yunnan in April

I would limit your time in Kunming and take a flight to Dali and/or Lijiang. If you don't want to spend too long on a bus, flying is the best way to visit these places which are quite nice. No idea what April weather will be like though. Lots to do and see at both these places.

Lijiang,Yunnan
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visiting Kunming and Yunnan in April

if you like to do some trekking, no shop to visit local area, please check here to get some information: www.ecotourism.com.cn hope you find something interesting!

8. Re: Visiting Kunming and Yunnan in April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 06:18