We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kunming Airport overnight...

Denver
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kunming Airport overnight...

So I understand there is a new airport with no airport hotels close by...we have a short overnight stay and i could use some advice on a convenient place to stay...I just want to avoid traffic in the morning etc...Are there any hotels that offer hotel shuttles?? mid priced places are fine...thanks in advance for any help...

119 replies to this topic
2 posts
Save Reply
51. Re: Kunming Airport overnight...

Since my transit time is 33 hours, do I need to make a tourist VISA in advance before departing from Taipei? As you said Kunming allows only 24-hour VISA free transit. Thanks.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
548 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: Kunming Airport overnight...

#51 -- Yes. You need a visa if you want to leave the airport for more than 24 hours.

The visa details depend on where you are from (what country's passport you are using for your trip.You might want to Google the China embassy in your home country and find out the regulations.

I see you are flying from Taiwan, but that's not what counts; it's your home country that determines the rules.

If a visa is too much trouble or expense, of course you can just go into Kunming as a transit passenger (Transit Without Visa = TWOV) and then stay in the airport for the remainder of the time, as I suggested in my earlier post (#50.)

Edited: 16 May 2014, 08:39
Calcutta, India
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Kunming Airport overnight...

Some very helpful replies from ZhongguoKM on this thread. Thank you!

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
548 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Kunming Airport overnight...

You're welcome.

What's available now has changed a lot since the airport first opened in late June of 2012. It's currently the 7th busiest airport in China and handles 24 million passengers annually.

As time goes on, I'm sure additional lodging options will be built; since supply tends to meet demand and there's lots of open space nearby.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Kunming Airport overnight...

Hello everyone, I am currently sitting in one of the hourly lounges and thought I would post an update on an overnight stay here. I flew China Eastern at 4:55pm this afternoon from Osaka with my end destination being Hanoi. I transpired at Shangai where I was personally shown through a separate immigration and border control by the super friendly CE staff. I then waited 2 hours for a connecting flight to Kunming Airport.

I was again personally shown through arrivals and into a separate area for transit customers from Osaka. I picked up my bag and then exited onto the landing side of the airport. Once I said no to all of the hotel touts I withdrew some money from the cash machine opposite exit 3 in the main lobby and preceded to find somewhere to relax and grab a drink.

I am currently on a sofa with a warm blanket, freshly made green tea and some buttery pistachios courtesy of a purchased 3 hour deal. For 70 Yuan (about £7) I can snooze away for 3 hours or purchase longer and recline in the quiet area of a place I think is called the Laughton. There is a menu in English and the two ladies on duty are extremely polite and helpful!

The airport is open 24hrs, there are flights arriving at 5am and 7am and departures again at 8am.

Super clean airport and there are people asleep on benches on the 3rd floor. Apart from the hotel touts who are quite persistent it's a super airport if only more of the cafés and fast food joints were open at this early time!

Hope this helps as much as the previous posts in helping me save money and a dodgy deal with a hotel room in town. Finally, I was granted a 2 day visa but I'm unsure if you can escape the airport to have a look around Kunming albeit not at this crazy hour!

Kindest Regards

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
548 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Kunming Airport overnight...

Thanks for that information, @neilconnor1977.

So this lounge was land-side on the 3rd floor. How did you find your way to it? Did you inquire at the information desk or did you just see signs pointing in the right direction?

I'll be at the airport later today (flying out of Kunming on a short trip) and if I have time I will look for it.

>>"...I think is called the Laughton."

That doesn't sound very Chinese (smile.)

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Kunming Airport overnight...

Hey ZhongguoKM, although some of the airport signs are easy to read, I found they don't necessarily tell you where to go if that makes sense. If you head to exit 3 (there are 4 individually labelled) then turn around and there is a lift which will take you to any floor. Head up to floor 2 if I remember correctly, exit the lift and turn right. Then keep heading down the corridor and you won't miss it, it's on your right hand side before the Starbucks! Yes I might be wrong about the name but a Chinese tea shop which also sells hot dogs as I remember doesn't typify a local shop never mind a name I could create myself to advertise their goods ;) happy hunting

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,702 posts
548 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Kunming Airport overnight...

#57 -- I arrived at the airport with no time to spare, and didn't have time to scout around. Maybe next time.

Bandung, Indonesia
1 post
Save Reply
59. Re: Kunming Airport overnight...

helo i want to ask also about overnight, if i arrived at kunming airport at 23.35 (night) by china southern, and the next day 14.00 i have a flight to indonesia by malaysia air lines, can i get the free over night at the hotel near the airport?thanks,, please suggest

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Kunming Airport overnight...

Hi DenverLucky, I don't believe that any of the China Eastern/Southern airlines off a free hotel anymore, they certainly didn't on my flight!

Kindest Regards

Reply to: Kunming Airport overnight...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted