We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kunming-dali-lijang-shangari-la trip

Which Kunming hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kota Kinabalu...
14 posts
Save Topic
kunming-dali-lijang-shangari-la trip

Hi, I am from Malaysia, i and my hushand are going to Kunming by Airasia on 10/4/2013 arriving at 4.55 pm and leaving to Malaysia on 15/4/2013 5.40pm . We do not wish to overnight upon arrive in Kunming, instead want to take a train direct to Dali or Lijang , then to Shangri-la and back to kunming on 14/4/2013.Seeking advise out there. Thank you

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,324 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kunming-dali-lijang-shangari-la trip

Not enough time.

Beijing, China
Destination Expert
for Guilin, Xi'an, Tibet
Level Contributor
4,915 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kunming-dali-lijang-shangari-la trip

You need to rush like this:

Apr 10 Kunming - Lijiang by train

Apr 11-12 Lijiang (i would spend three days in Lijiang)

Apr 13 Shangri-La

Apr 14 Shangri-La - Kunming - out of China by air

Guilin, China
Level Contributor
206 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kunming-dali-lijang-shangari-la trip

just can cover three places rather than four in your time.

Kunming-Dali-Lijiang or Kunming-Lijiang-Shangri-la

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
19 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kunming-dali-lijang-shangari-la trip

Hi Florence

You have effectively only 4 1/2 days to cover the cities. It will be a bit rushed but but you can try got go either way as post #3. I am not too familiar with the trains so do a bit more research on that if you choose to travel by it to either Dali or Lijiang. I would get a car and driver instead as it offers more flexibility.

I'd suggest you stick to either Dali or Lijiang to stay and visit. Both towns have many attractions nearby which you can cover in the few days you have. Going up further to Shangri-la means you will loose 1/2 day travel each way so that's one whole day gone, and will leave you little time to see and do things. Plus you need to acclimatize and it's no fun being ill when traveling.

Personally I'd head for Lijiang as there are more things to see in and around it. The town, though commercialized, has a lot to see and do and get lost in, and nearby you have the Jade Dragon Snow Mountain and the Impression show, and you may even cover Tiger Leaping Gorge.

Have fun!

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kunming-dali-lijang-shangari-la trip

hello Florance 269:

since you are on a tight schedule,first delete Dali,then consider about connect Kunming to Lijiang,and Shangri-la to Kunming by flight. This may add more cost on the tour,but can ensure you have enough time in Lijiang and Shangri-la for a relaxing tour rather than a rush.the itinerary i design for you is as below:

Apr.10,arriving at Kunming Changshui Airport for the connection flight to Lijiang directly

Apr.11 stroll around Lijiang

Apr.12 go to Shangri-la by bus after lunch

Apr 13 visit Sonzanlin Monastery

Apr 14 fly to Kunming

if you want take train from Kunming to Lijiang,and it is still OK,just skip one night in Lijiang.

P.S don't write date in this way 10/4/2013,which may confuse Chinese people,but write month in English clearly.

feel free to ask details about your itinerary.

Lijiang,Yunnan
Level Contributor
296 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kunming-dali-lijang-shangari-la trip

During April it is still not the best time to visit Shangri-La, still a little bit dry. but kind of nice time to visit Dali and Lijiang area.

7. Re: kunming-dali-lijang-shangari-la trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 November 2013, 10:15