We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

7 days trip with 2 kids plan help

USA
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
7 days trip with 2 kids plan help

HI, we are going to kunming and Lijiang for 7 days. We are going to arrive early (9am) on monday form HK and leave around noon on Sunday. Should we go to Lijiang that day or stay in kunming a a few days. How many days should we spit between kunming and Liliang? WHAT should we see in KUnming and LIjiang? Should we fly or train? We have2small kids (3 yr and 4 yr) so we don't want long travel time between. I did a bit of the research and seem like there are a lot to see but some may not be small kid friendly.. Thanks a millions.

1. Re: 7 days trip with 2 kids plan help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2013, 18:16
Kunming, China
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 7 days trip with 2 kids plan help

Hi, for a 7 days trip in Kunming and Lijiang, I would suggest 2 days in Kunming and 5 days in Lijiang. Because Kunming is the capital city and it's more or less has the morden taste as HK, Lijiang is an ancient town, so it's better for family with kids to relax, do some boat, hike, biking stuffs.

I would suggest you to rent a small van for the whole trip, because it's better price than airplane, more convienent when you have kids, and save your time for visiting instead of taking bus, trains, etc.

If you have any further questions, pls let me know. I could help you to work out for a solid itinerary. Welcome to my hometown, Kunming! I used to live in the Netherlands, and I speak good English, so communication and travel styple culture difference wont't be an issue!

Cheers, Linda

USA
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 7 days trip with 2 kids plan help

thanks guys, but with small kids, would it be better to just fly? I think it will save more time and be easier for my kids. Should we do Kunming first or go straight to Lijiang?

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 7 days trip with 2 kids plan help

It is also an option to just fly, it will be from Kunming to Dali (flight 45 mins), but since Kunming just moved to an new place for the airport, it will cost 1 hour to reach the airport, check in, etc, which will also takes a lot of time. In the end, driving from Kunming to Dali takes only 4 hours, and for the private transfer, you could take a look from the window on the way, stops during the travel time, etc, I think it's cheaper and easier. Cheers, Linda

Chengdu, China
Level Contributor
1,083 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 7 days trip with 2 kids plan help

skip Kunming if you have limited time for your holidays.As it is a city with no big difference to other big Chinese cities,e.g.full of traffic, lot of building sites,busy and noisy. Why not spend your vacations in the real tourist destinations for nice, beautiful scenery and clean air?

So catch your connecting fight to Lijiang on your arrival into Kunming Changshui Airport,and spend 4 days there.Of course,you can do some short excursions when you are in Lijiang,and make the amount of activities under control.

Spend the rest of your holidays in Dali for its beautiful sunshine,nice rice paddy and amazing lake.

Fly out of Dali to Kunming for your connecting flight back home.

Beijing, China
Level Contributor
9,553 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 7 days trip with 2 kids plan help

Due to altitude of Lijiang (which doesn't bother the majority of adults but can bother small children), I wouldn't go directly there by flight. I would spend Day 1 in Kunming--kids would enjoy Green Lake which has a bunch of kiddie stuff, and a nice walk/area of town for the adults. I'm sure we can come up with some other things for you as well to fill out that day.

Day 2 I'd get a car to take you to Dali, about 4 hours' drive. The public bus is cheaper but with 2 small children not as comfortable. With a private car you can stop as you like enroute. Afternoon and evening in Dali, also Day 3.

Day 4 I'd take the K9267 train Dali to Lijiang, leaves about 09:27 arrives 11:59. It's just hard seat class (not literally hard) but quite inexpensive and will be OK for this short a ride. Train station is much closer to town than the airport which is an hour's ride away. Rest of Day 4 in Lijiang area.

Days 5, 6 and whatever of 7 you can manage also in Lijiang area. You may want to consider staying in quieter Shuhe about 6 km away from Lijiang. The only activity I wouldn't earmark with 2 preschoolers is heavy duty hiking, but getting a car and puttering around exploring villages is fine. Lijiang Old town and parts of the new town also fine to run around with the kids.

I'd fly from Lijiang to HK, likely via Kunming connection.

Edited: 15 March 2013, 04:13
Kunming
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 7 days trip with 2 kids plan help

Hi,I think you will miss more important things when you fly from Kunming to Lijiang.

There are many historical and interesting sight along the route from Kunming to Lijiang,which your kids will love them most.

Would you like to know more about Yunnan ?

Travelling by car please,You and your family will have more unforgettable experiences in Yunnan.

If you have any question please let us know.

Have a good trip in Yunnan.

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 7 days trip with 2 kids plan help

There's a kids book called "Are we there yet?" Kids don't usually like long road trips.

singapore
Level Contributor
22 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 7 days trip with 2 kids plan help

hi, i m travelling to Yunnan on 4th June. Staying at the Crowne Plaza till 7th June. Any suggestions on what i can do with 2 kids (13&10) around that area for those 3 days? Would probably stay around for another 1week. If i mus choose, is Lijjiang or Dali better for family with kids?

Blueys Beach...
Level Contributor
1,228 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 7 days trip with 2 kids plan help

Personally I love Lijiang but with kids I would suggest you stay at the Linden Centre near Dali. It's run by an American couple as a guesthouse, they provide interesting activities, have kids of their own and understand what they like.