We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy wireless home security camera

Which Kunming hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Where to buy wireless home security camera

In my past trips, I had purchased several cheap China brand electronic home products and they work fine in Malaysia.

In my coming trip, I am looking at getting a small wireless home security camera in Kunming.

Is there a China brand which is similar to this product?

Preferably if can get it in downtown so that we dont spend too much travelling time to get to the shops.

vuezone.com/use-ideas/battery-powered-camera

Thanks your help.

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
38,840 posts
808 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy wireless home security camera

If you can read Chinese or use google translate then check on www.taobao.com

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
511 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy wireless home security camera

First, I have to admit that I've never shopped for this particular product. I don't know how popular these little cameras are in China; they might be extremely rare.

But for small electronic items of this sort, the best place to look in Kunming is Yi Er Yi Dajie 一二一大街。That's downtown in the University District, close to Yunnan Normal University, and also not far from Green Lake.

That's the zone where the best selection of computers, computer peripherals, accessories and components is found. There are a dozen or more stores on both sides of the street, for the two or three blocks between Dongfeng West 东风西路 and Yuantong North 圆通北路。

One large one store complex, three or four stories tall, where they have odds and ends as well as non-main-stream products such as you are seeking is on the NW corner of Yi Er Yi Dajie, where it intersects Beimen Street 北门路。 It is called Jiechen Digital City. I can't remember the Chinese spelling.

Might add that, unless you are extraordinarily lucky, this will be a time-consuming and frustrating project. Unless you have at least half a day to devote to it, don't even bother to start looking. You will also need to speak at least some Chinese or bring someone who does. The shops probably won't know what you are actually looking for, so you should print out a picture from the website you posted and take it along.

If you do find it, don't expect it to be cheap. It will probably cost more than if shipped straight to you from the US where they are made. If you can find a Chinese knock-off, it may be a little less.

Edited: 21 February 2014, 00:15
Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy wireless home security camera

Thanks for the above information. When we go to Green Lake, maybe we can manage to go to Yi Er Yi Dajie 一二一大街.

Kunming, China
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
511 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy wireless home security camera

Yes, it's close by. About 15 or 20 minutes walking or a base-fare (10 Yuan) taxi ride.

One thing worth remembering is that China imposes a 17% VAT (tax) on imported electronics, which make them more expensive than one might think. Clothes are cheap here, but electronics are usually not.

Edited: 21 February 2014, 03:55
5. Re: Where to buy wireless home security camera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2015, 05:23