We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hangzhou to Shanghai by Train - Luggages Allow?

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
6 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Hangzhou to Shanghai by Train - Luggages Allow?

Will be flying with family of 5 to Hangzhou and then enroute to Shanghai by train. Need help on:

Do they allow and/or have special storage space for luggages (typical family travel) on the train? Any luggage size restriction I should be aware of?

Have been reading various posting, like to have some input that it is alright to purchase train ticket at the station on arrival (ie no need to do it in advance).

What is the easiest means to get from Hangzhou airport to train station? By taxi??

Tks

Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
40,449 posts
825 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hangzhou to Shanghai by Train - Luggages Allow?

You are limited only by how much you can carry (you need to deal with stairs). There is some luggage space at the end of each train car.

Best way is always by taxi.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
13,260 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hangzhou to Shanghai by Train - Luggages Allow?

I presume you're taking the D trains? Big pieces of luggage go on the luggage racks or free space (might not be any free space if the train is especially crowded) near the train carriage doors. Small pieces of luggage can go on the racks above the seats. No luggage restrictions as long as you can carry them!

Don't even dream about getting Hangzhou -- Shanghai South train tickets on Fri-Sun, on-the-spot. Unless you don't mind standing.

Yes, taxi would be the easiest. However taxis only take a maximum of 4 passengers, so you and all your luggage might need 2 taxis.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
49 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hangzhou to Shanghai by Train - Luggages Allow?

I plan to go Hangzhou from Shanghai by D train.

My question: can i buy the return ticket (Hangzhou to Shanghai) at Shanghai before my departure to Hangzhou?

Shanghai ,China
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hangzhou to Shanghai by Train - Luggages Allow?

Yes Sure, you can !

California, U.S.
Level Contributor
123 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hangzhou to Shanghai by Train - Luggages Allow?

Does D train have delux section? Can I purchase tickets from Shanghai to Hangzhou but return tickets from Suzhou to Shanghai?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
23,243 posts
1,651 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hangzhou to Shanghai by Train - Luggages Allow?

This is a good link:

http://www.seat61.com/China.htm

First class and second class tickets available for this service.

Tommo

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,415 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hangzhou to Shanghai by Train - Luggages Allow?

I prefer you take Airport shuttle bus to Hangzhou rail station (Central). it charges CNY20/person. Dep, at 09:30~17:00 once/15min, before 09:00 and after 17:00 are once/30min. Time needs 1 hour.

There are 79 trains/day to Shanghai (only 5 trains stop in Shanghai Central).

If by cabs;

a) to Hangzhou Nan (South) rail station for 21KM. CNY60 or up/cab. Take train to Shanghai Nan. Time needs 2~3 hours. There are 55 trains/day.

b) to Hangzhou rail station (Central), the distance is 44KM & it drives through Hangzhou Nan (South) rail station. CNY120 or up/cab.

In China, D-train has storage spaces. Regular train stores on the racks. You come with family of 5, so when you get the tickets, ask for the 'Red Caps' (CNY5/piece), they will bring it to your compartment.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,864 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hangzhou to Shanghai by Train - Luggages Allow?

Ahh ellyse, you know as well as i do that tickets are ALWAYS available on the spot to anywhere.

It just depends who you talk to.....

California, U.S.
Level Contributor
123 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hangzhou to Shanghai by Train - Luggages Allow?

thanks all of you.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
609 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hangzhou to Shanghai by Train - Luggages Allow?

Buy train tickets a few days in advance if you can..we did not do it and were shut out of all trains and ended up taking a taxi to Shanghai. Also check which train station the train goes to..there are 2 stations. We were looking to go on a Sunday.