We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need advice/help on my 7 days itinery in Hokkaido

Which Sapporo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Need advice/help on my 7 days itinery in Hokkaido

Hi all experts,

I have been reading the great posts and tried to come up with an itinery for my wife and me for our trip to Hokkaido in mid Feb

I would greatly appreciate if you can help me on the qns i have on the itinery.

Day 1 - 9 Feb: Arrive Chitose Airport from Tokyo in evening.

QN: Shld i stay one night at airport mitsui hotel or take bus to sapporo n stay one night in city? As i know the accom prices are very high due to snow festival.

Day 2 - 10 Feb: Spend 1 day in sapporo, see snow festival, see clock tower, tv tower, mt moiwa, ramen alley

Day 3 - 11 Feb: Visit Otaru,

QN: Shld i stay at Otaru? Any recomm? Or go back to Sapporo? Esp if i intend to go skiing e next day?

Day 4/5 - 12/13 Feb: Go skiing.. but where??

QN: I cannot decide between Niseko, Rutsusu or Furama. Niseko seems very expensive, n not sure if can get accom now. Furama seems cheaper although further off as i would like to go to Lake Toya/Noboribetsu next. Rutsusu seems Ok. Which one shld i go for?? Help.

Day 6 - 14 Feb:

Visit Lake Toya, Hell valley and stay one night at Oyado Kiyomizu-ya Noboribetsu Onsen

QN: Not sure if there is train or bus from e various ski resort to Lake Toya. Is 1 day too short?

Day 7 - 15 Feb

Travel to Hakodate, walk ard and spend a night there.

QN: Not sure if there is train or bus from Lake Toya to Hakodate

Should 1 buy 5 days JR pass?

Day 8 - 16 Feb

Fly back to Tokyo from Hokadate airport.

Thanks all for the advice and help in advance!

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,444 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need advice/help on my 7 days itinery in Hokkaido

Hi there.

good plans!

I suggest:

1) don't worry about WHERE you stay - just get somewhere right now - airport or Sapporo city...or Shin Sapporo - you need a bed for the night!

One idea would be to go by train from the airport direct to Otaru (about 1 hour), stay THERE and make a daytrip to Sapporo by train (30 mins) and also enjoy Otaru. Stay 2 nights. Or stay 3 nights and also go skiing at Kiroro, which is a nice big resort in the mountains above Otaru. There are ski buses from the hotels and a public bus f rom Otaru train station.

Then go by train to NOboribetsu and Hakodate. YOu'l use a train betwee them and get local buses from the station to Noboribetsu Onsen.

Check Hyperdia the trains in Japan website for train costs, roues, times - I think it would cost about Y10,000 to go Otaru/Noboribetsu/Hakodate...so not worth getting the rail passs.

Sapporo to Otaru is very cheap.

In Otaru - there's a Hilton right next to the train station (one stop before the city center) and there are many nice hotels - I recommend the Authent HOtel in the center. Hotel Sonia also good.

but get somewhere booked right nOW!

amanda

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need advice/help on my 7 days itinery in Hokkaido

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for the tip!

Will take your suggestion to stay in Otaru as well as Kiroro.

And also want to ask if 1 day is too rush to travel from to both Lake Toya and Noboribetsu Onsen? Shld i skip Lake Toya and just stay at Onsen in Noboribetsu?

But if so, it seems that i may miss out on "lake" scenary in my itinery? missing out on both Lake Akan and Lake Toba?

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Singapore
Level Contributor
249 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need advice/help on my 7 days itinery in Hokkaido

Niseko is cool... I will suggest that...

What about Kushiro for Siberian cranes?

And Abashiri for ice breaking cruise?

Cheers!

Bernard

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,444 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need advice/help on my 7 days itinery in Hokkaido

Hi there

Yes - 1 day is too short to do Noboribetsu and Lake Toya without your own transport.

Noboribetsu is a touristy little town with lots of hotels crammed into a valley - hot springs of course and the volcanic steaming area...Lake Toya is a one street village on a lake with big hotels...and the lake...and the recent 2001 volcanic eruption area of Nishiyama Crater and the wartime eruption area of Showa\Sinzan...

Best to choose one. stay the night and then go on to Hakodate.

But as the other poster says - your trip is only doing one side of Hokkiado - you could go east to Sounkyou and Akan and Kushiro...but maybe next time?!

amanda

Singapore
Level Contributor
35 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need advice/help on my 7 days itinery in Hokkaido

I am just back from my trip to Hokkaido yesterday. Its snowing heavily there.

I stayed in Nikko Hotel Chitose. It's quite a good hotel. Near the airport. If you arrive Chitose Airport in the evening, not recommended to stay in Sapporo,it's so late and I believe you would wish to sleep earlier. By the way if you are travelling with ANA, their luggage handling is VERY rough. JAL and ADO is not bad.

In Sapporo, these are the places I recommend you to go:Clock Tower, Ishiya Chocolate Factory(Closed temporary but can take photos outside. Really cute!!!),Odori Park and JR Tower shopping mall.

Otaru is a very nice city. Staying in Otaru is cheaper than Sapporo so stay in Otaru! You could make your own Music Box at Otaru Music Box Museum. I made 1 myself. Quite expensive actually.(About SGD 60+dollars or so) You can have their 5-coloured ice cream at 1 shop,forgot the name. Oishi!!!There is 1 shop where you can have coffee,tea or juice and bring the cup back!! There is the Kitaichi Glass Shop there, quite nice too. The shops along Otaru are must go!!! Otaru is a really nice,romantic and cute city. You need at least 4.5 hours. My travel agent only gave me 2 hours at Otaru and gave us all the time at Shopping at Rera Factory Outlet. We didn't do much at Otaru so feeling disappointed not having enough time to walk around.

Since you are going Noboribetsu next,Niseko is out. Rusutsu should be good,very big place.

Lake Toya,you can visit Bear Ranch, Hell Valley, Shiraoi Ainu Village. I stayed in Toya Kanko there.1 day is enough.

I didn't go to Hakodate so not to sure. Do learn the basic Japanese before going!Bon Voyage!

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need advice/help on my 7 days itinery in Hokkaido

Hi all,

Thanks to Amanda and all for advice.

Had made the hotel booking at Otaru Hilton on 1st day. Also managed to find 2 nights accomodation in Sapporo for snow festival!

After consideration, decided to go to Niseko to stay 2 nights instead of Kiroro as Kiroro is more expensive. Strange.

After Niseko, will like to travel to Noboribetsu.

Now would like to get any good recommendation for accomodation in Noboribetsu and my final day in Hokadate?

I was reading and doing research, found the following:

Noboribetsu - Oyado Kiyomizu-ya. Recommended by Frommers. Amanda, any authentic ryoken with JApanese culture to recommend? :) Do not prefer huge hotel like Dai-ichi Takimotokan..

Hokadate - HOTEL NEW OHTE or SMILE HOTEL HAKODATE (HOTEL OCEAN 2) cheap at about 8000yen per night. Not sure about location although on the website they says its near to JR station. How about Niceday Inn? Read about the friendly Mrs Sato. :)

Thanks again for so many questions.

Eric

Appreciate your comments!

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,444 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need advice/help on my 7 days itinery in Hokkaido

Have you looked at this website?

http://www.city.noboribetsu.lg.jp/

the last one, Kashutei Hanaya looks nice and has some English info.

Singapore
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Need advice/help on my 7 days itinery in Hokkaido

Hanaya is definitely good. U won't be disappointed! Nice food. Great service. Authentic hot spring in and outdoors. www.kashoutei-hanaya.co.jp/english/index.htm

Singapore
Level Contributor
16 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need advice/help on my 7 days itinery in Hokkaido

Thanks all for the advice!

Have made the booking.

Looking forward to the trip. :)

10. Re: Need advice/help on my 7 days itinery in Hokkaido

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 00:18