We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights in Biei and Furama

Which Sapporo hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Selangor, Malaysia
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
4 nights in Biei and Furama

Hi there,

I want to have your opinion if spending 4 nights in Biei and Furama area (2 nights each) are too much to have enough things to do? I can't decide whether I should spend more days in Sapporo (currently planning for 3 nights in Sapporo, and that includes one day trip to Otaru).

Any suggestions?

dorothy

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 nights in Biei and Furama

Depends on a few things.

1) What season are you coming - should be ok in July - September.

2) Do you have a car rental? You CAN get around this area by bus and train , but with 4 days a car would give you more range easily to enjoy.

3) Do you like hiking or cycling? Beacuse then some of the time will be taken with these activities.

Furano and Biei are actually have close together - only 30 minutes...you might like to do one night in Sounkyou for the onsens and ride up the mountains to Kurodake.

Or a night at Asahidake - onsens and the a cable car to the other side of the mountains.

The zoo at Asahikawa can take a few hours...then there is an ice museum..a small Ainu museum, the sake museum and ramen...

OR - if you want to - go one more area east and get to Lake Akan. Again, with a car this is much easier.

amanda

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
688 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 nights in Biei and Furama

There's great shopping and restaurants in Sapporo, and some sightseeing places, but three nights including a day trip to Otaru is enough.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,386 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 nights in Biei and Furama

2 days Furano/Biei

2 days Sapporo (great place for shopping, food, and a few sights)

1 day Otaru

Plan at least one day for an onsen ryoken. Your choices include Jyozankei, Noboribetsu, Sounkyo (only if you have a car), or Asarigawa (near Otaru and accessible by bus in 30 minutes).

As Amanda said, if you have a car, you can go quite a bit further.

Selangor, Malaysia
Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 nights in Biei and Furama

Hello Amanda, Nessie3 and Sammyfloyd,

Thanks so much for your advices. I won't have car access. Will be relying on JR train heavily and bus to go around.

Amanda, yes I look forward to some cycling in Biei/Furama area but not so much hiking.

I think after hearing all of your opinions, I will keep my original plan of 1 night at Biei and 2 nights at Furama unchanged, and will try to book my 3 nights stay at Sapporo ASAP so that to cover sightseeing, shopping in Sapporo, 1 day at Otaru and another day trip to either Jozankei or Noboribethu/Toyako.

But one night in Sounkyou for the onsens and ride up the mountains to Kurodake also sounds great! I wished that I have more days in Hokkaido!

Which one will you choose between Jozankei, Noboribethu and Sounkyo/Kurodake? I am not so keen on hard core hiking, but would love to take the cable car up to Kurodake.

Any opinions?

dorothy

HK
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 nights in Biei and Furama

if cost is not a major issue is it possible to book nice accomodation in biei/furama on short notice?

thinking about above itinerary but for less than a week's notice booking (july18-21 timing)

also any suggestions as to where to stay? budget not major concern would like someplace nice. basically thinking of arriving wed/thursday and going to furano/biei right away to beat the long weekend crowd, see the hills/flowers and then back to sapporo for the rest of the weekend.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,386 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 nights in Biei and Furama

July to August is peak season at Furano and Biei. You need to book now! Actually, you'd be lucky to find something as it's very late already.

7. Re: 4 nights in Biei and Furama

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 14:20