We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Historical Village

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
89 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Historical Village

I'm intending to spend 2 nights and 1 day in Sapporo before moving on to Otaru for another night. For Sapporo, planning to cover Odori Park/Clock Tower/TV Tower, Sapporo Beer Musuem and the Ishiya Chocolate Factory (I'm assuming it's open to the public already). Then, I read a few guidebooks which strongly recommended the Historical Village.

I'm toying with keeping the rental car for the morning so I can drive to the Historical Village. You reckon I can manage to squeeze the Historical Village in the morning, return for lunch (say 1.30pm) at the Beer Museum and then tackle the rest of the sights in the afternoon?

A separate question on Otaru - are the Music Box Musuem and Glass Factory etc concentrated in the canal area? Any recommendation of a good and reasonably-priced hotel?

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
56,182 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Historical Village

I have not been to Historical Village so I can't comment there. The Clock Tower is way overrated, even by Japanese themselves. It's just worth a look from the outside and that's about it. The ramen shop near the clock tower on the main road, Aji-no-Tokeidai Ramen, serves an excellent bowl of miso ramen and it's well worth a try.

Ishiya is now open as usual. I didn't think the tour was very good, but the shop itself and the park are very picturesque with a good atmosphere.

I believe the street with the music box museum and glass factories is Sakai-Machi Dori. It is a couple blocks southeast of the Canal's typical photo spot and it's very easy to find. As you walk east on the street, there are some very nice cafes, and then you will also see Le Tao, which serves great cookies and chocolates. I actually loved their ice cream (you can also buy that in Sapporo).

http://www.letao.jp/

Otaru has many good hotels actually. Even Hilton isn't that expensive. I believe Authent also gets pretty good reviews.

Sapporo, Japan
Level Contributor
688 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Historical Village

>>I'm toying with keeping the rental car for the morning so I can drive to the Historical Village. You reckon I can manage to squeeze the Historical Village in the morning, return for lunch (say 1.30pm) at the Beer Museum and then tackle the rest of the sights in the afternoon?

The Historical Village is accessible from downtown by subway then bus. No need to keep the car, although it might be a little more convenient.

>>A separate question on Otaru - are the Music Box Musuem and Glass Factory etc concentrated in the canal area?

Yes, these are all concentrated in the canal district a few blocks north of JR Otaru Station.

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Historical Village

I'd skip doing the sapporo downtown things...because if you are staying in Sapporo you'll see them in the evening or the morning anyway as you go to and from your hotel. Not necessary to make special time for them.

Odori Park is just a park, and the Clock Tower is a 19th century American style old building...in Singpore you have lots of similar old British buildings!

You CAN do the Historiacl Village and then the Chocolate Factory by public transport on the same day.

Go to Shin Sapporo or ShinrinKoen Station (20 mins from city center) and take a short cheap taxi ride (15 or 5 mins) to the village.

Go back on JR and take the train back through Sapporo Station to the otherside to Hassamu - and take another taxi (5 mins).

You can also do all of this by subway and bus...but it will take longer.

4. Re: Historical Village

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 00:16