We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Sapporo for flowers in May

Singapore, Singapore
4 posts
Save Topic
Driving from Sapporo for flowers in May

I'm going to be in Sapporo next week and would like to see sakura and other scenic areas. Will there still be sakura next week? I know there's a road with lots of sakura, where is that road and how can I do there? Is there a English website about it?

If I were to go from Sapporo to Furano and Biel then back to Sapporo in a day - will it be a rush?

I saw the tulip farm Kamiyubetsu. Is it worth the drive from Sapporo just to see that? Is there any scenic places on the way since it's a 5 hours drive from Sapporo.

If I could visit one lake, would Lake Akan or Lake Toya be a better choice next week? Is it possible to drive from Sapporo to Lake Akan? How long will that take?

Please help!!

Sapporo, Japan
Destination Expert
for Sapporo, Hokkaido
Level Contributor
2,626 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Sapporo for flowers in May

Hi there

many questions...here are some answers:

1) Lots of flower viewing information here

2) I wouldn't bother with Furano and Biee for flowers at this time of year...there are a few, but not worth the drive.

3) Kamiyubetsu is a long long way out in east Hokkaido. If you are going out there for onsen, Ainu culture, food, driving, nature...you MAY see tulips.

4) Driving information is here

I'd go to center (Sounkyou or Asahidake) and then east to Akan.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Sapporo for flowers in May

We did that something similar last year: Chitose-Furano-Biei. The drive is possible we stopped at Sandataki Falls along the way and had time to stop for lunch and visit the Wine Factory and Farm Tomita at Furano then along the way to Biei, we visited the Trick Art Museum. Wanted to make a detour to Asahidake Ropeway, ut did not have the time. However, you will not have time to fully appreciate all the atractions that Furano has to offer eg the Jam Factory, Cheese Factory etc. We were going back to Furano on another day so it worked for us.

I have not been to Lake Toya, but we went to Lake Akan, and we loved it. I suppose it is possible to drive to Akan from Sapporo in a day if you want, but you probably won't be able to make many menaingful stops along the way. We took our time and visited other places along the way. If you decide to visit Akan, I recommend you stay at Akan Yukanosato Tsuruga. I wrote about thate in another thread "Advice on accommodation at Akan National Park".

3. Re: Driving from Sapporo for flowers in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2009, 05:30